E: Engine Comet Mongrel

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Speaking of nice...Do those Newby clutches work as good as they look? When I opened the box today, I was pleasantly surprised.

I am a little more effusive. It is one of those products that is much better than its hype. I asked Bob Newby about the starting technique and he replied "rev it to 6000 and slip it until the lever is all the way out." I did that for 7 years at every race and except for some blue spots, the plates look like they were new.

The primary cover can be a simple aluminum flat top and sides. I chose fiberglass because I wanted to make spares.

100_1199.jpg

This is a copy of an aluminum cover. The top with cut outs and straight sides.

002.JPG

This is a later version with a double D logo on it. I had not heat problems with the clutch and I wanted more protection for the clutch at Bonneville. I made it a little taller around the clutch for the lifter mechanism. The hole is there so you can stick a finger in and check the belt tension.

IMG_2268.JPG

Finally, this one can bolt onto a flat plate or the stock inner primary plate.

I take it you have an inner primary plate as you have not mentioned needing one?

David

Cyborg

VOC Member
I have no inner primary plate. I'm basically starting this project with a set of cases, crank, cylinder of dubious condition and a decent head along with a few odds and ends. I just purchased the bits for the timing chest, crank bearings, belt drive and I recently purchased and rebuilt a Commando gearbox. As far as the rest of it goes, I'm trying to use odds and ends that I have lying around. It will likely end up being a little odd, but after I check out someone can rescue the unmolested engine and shove the rest off a cliff.

vibrac

VOC Member
I have run the racing comet on belt and plate inner for as long as available the flash with belt with standard inner and outer covers for three or four years the egli twin racer the same and I built a egli comet last year all with no circlip an vocsc seal spacer and housing
Bob newby lives a few miles from me and is an old racing buddy it certainly is a good product for racing I change the belt every year

vibrac

VOC Member
Parts for the kit are:
E229 comet mainshaft seal holder.
G24 seal.
1114ss 3/16 BSW 5/8 cam screw.

There is also the shaft spacer I already had one.

Last edited by a moderator:

davidd

VOC Member
I have no inner primary plate. I'm basically starting this project with a set of cases, crank, cylinder of dubious condition and a decent head along with a few odds and ends. I just purchased the bits for the timing chest, crank bearings, belt drive and I recently purchased and rebuilt a Commando gearbox.

Well, that is plenty. An 18" x 18" piece of 1/4" 6061 plate is plenty to make an inner primary. It is nice if you can borrow an original inner for a bit just to punch the holes before drilling. The other holes (or even all the holes) can be done with a good template.

100_2650.jpg

David

Cyborg

VOC Member
I'll have to give that a go. Not sure if anyone around these parts has an inner available. Just thinking out loud again, but I could probably mount the D/S case half in the mill and map out the hole locations on the DRO and then make a template out of the brides plastic cutting board.
I plan on leaving some extra metal at the top there. I'm not using a F106, but as previously mentioned, might want to add a bendix type starter in the future.... assuming I can sneak a ring gear between the clutch and the inner primary.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Do yourself a favour Ken and specify a VITON rubber seal - it will then outlast the life of the bike!

Ordered up a couple of SKF CR 14867. I gave up trying to find a double lip viton seal of that size. These should do fine.

vibrac

VOC Member
I'll have to give that a go. Not sure if anyone around these parts has an inner available. Just thinking out loud again, but I could probably mount the D/S case half in the mill and map out the hole locations on the DRO and then make a template out of the brides plastic cutting board.
I plan on leaving some extra metal at the top there. I'm not using a F106, but as previously mentioned, might want to add a bendix type starter in the future.... assuming I can sneak a ring gear between the clutch and the inner primary.
inners are now available from Vincent Spares

Cyborg

VOC Member
Instead of buying an ESA nut and cutting it down, is there something off the shelf that will work with the BNR crank pulley? I have a nut that is more robust than an E80, but like everything else it has chisel marks. It was in with the Vincent bits, but I don't see anything in the parts books other than the PD7 or E80.