E: Engine Comet Mongrel

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
There have been previous posts on this. The opinion of this poetry-reading idiot is to NOT discard the circlip. Turn up your own holder out of alloy and use a seal 1.5"x 2.062" x.312" similar to G24, but double-lipped if you can get one. Make a paper gasket. I think "Richardson", page 62 will help. Most folks lockwire the three setscrews here. You need the modified sprocket spacer with a ground outer track for the seal to run on.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Robert....Can I use that size? I'm not using the sprocket, I'm using one of these:

Crank Pully .jpg

I just ordered up a chunk of .5" aluminium plate to make the rear engine plates and it should be thick enough to make the top hat.

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
There have been previous posts on this. The opinion of this poetry-reading idiot is to NOT discard the circlip. Turn up your own holder out of alloy and use a seal 1.5"x 2.062" x.312" similar to G24, but double-lipped if you can get one. Make a paper gasket. I think "Richardson", page 62 will help. Most folks lockwire the three setscrews here. You need the modified sprocket spacer with a ground outer track for the seal to run on.

I knew that there are previous post on this, because I read them a while back. I did a search today, but after a few tries, I gave up. I seem to be a little challenged when it comes to searching for things... (I didn't think to look in the Richardson book). I don't "need" to remove the lip or should I say hair lip as it is damaged, but figured it would do a neater job... not that you can see it either way.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Hi Ken
I have one I bought for the Hancock twin but ended up machiinng the cases and making the holder. I could have made you one as I had the mill setup for the bolt circle dia.
I machined the case down to the top of the snap ring groove and made a top hat type insert with 6 8-32 c/s screws as this now holds the main bearing in situ. You then machine the inside of the engine sprocket down to 1.500 in on the boss and just over . 250 deep. The seal is 2.062 X 1.500 X .250

Sorry it is turned sideways

View attachment 17960
Do yourself a favour Ken and specify a VITON rubber seal - it will then outlast the life of the bike!

vibrac

VOC Member
Going to make a mainshaft oil seal holder. Can someone tell me what seal is normally used. I see the holder listed on VOC spares, but not the seal.
The groove for the outer circlip is beavered up a bit, so thinking of machining out the damaged area and using the seal holder to keep the outer bearing in place instead of the circlip.
What is the normal thickness of the flange that screws onto the case?
Please and thank you...
You either have a circlip or the holder not both the seal comes with the VOCSC kit and you need three screws (countersunk) there is plenty of depth- if it wasen't so cold I would pop in the garage and look at the invoice I only fitted mine last week to the 2020 I will tomorrow

davidd

VOC Member
I picked a seal that fit and made the housing for it just as Chankly suggested. Just bolted it on as I remember, but I am foggy on the seal and housing. I made my own inner primary plate and maybe that is why I did not have to machine anything. I don't specifically remember why I used four holes, but it does not look like too many.

The hardened spacer for the Comet is E216. That is the rough one that is not for use with a seal. E216/1 is the ground spacer for use with the seal.

Primary Seal 1.jpg

100_1658.jpg

I think I continued using the seal, but I went to a sealed bearing on the primary: MS-10-2RS. This is sealed inside and out. The bearing house convinced me to run it as is with both seals. It has been running every season for 8, which I think of as success.

100_1180.jpg

After I installed the front sprocket and mounted the belt, I had to pull it apart and put a shim against E216/1 so the sprocket moved out a hair. The belt need a bit of centering on the clutch.

100_1565.jpg

Of course, the Newby fits inside the Comet primary also. The lock wire is not a bad idea. That is 1/4" plate used for the inner primary. The foot rest and transmission plates are 3/8".

David

Cyborg

VOC Member
You either have a circlip or the holder not both the seal comes with the VOCSC kit and you need three screws (countersunk) there is plenty of depth- if it wasen't so cold I would pop in the garage and look at the invoice I only fitted mine last week to the 2020 I will tomorrow

I thought I read somewhere that the one sold by VOC spares did not seat against the outer bearing (with the clip removed). Am I imagining things?
I want to make my own seal retainer just for sport. I seem to be buying too many things that I should be making myself. I desperately need the practice.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Thanks for posting those pictures David. I ordered up some 1/2" plate to use between the the engine/gearbox/frame. Maybe a bit on the thick side, but I can always mill some of it away.
I don't know what I'm going to use for a primary cover. I'm trying to recover from a 2 yr long restoration on the B twin and want to give myself some artistic licence. Not quite what you might call cake decorating, but not necessarily following the rule of form follows function.... although I have to say what you have there looks awfully nice.

Speaking of nice...Do those Newby clutches work as good as they look? When I opened the box today, I was pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
The Newby clutch works fine, fairly sensitive to correct free play on the belt, and once set up doesn't need touching. A bit more of a "light switch" feel about it, but nothing you can't get used to.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member

I figured the 2 Phils put the circlip in there for a reason so I left it in place when I fitted the seal to my Comet - Yes you CAN have both!

See OVR #16 from May 2015 on how to do it - its available in the OVR Archive that you can reach via this link
www.ovr270.wixsite.com/ozvincentreview

Baaaa