E: Engine Comet Mongrel

Black Flash

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
You are doing the right thing.
Frank griffin told me many years ago: never assume anything, control everything!
He was bloody right and it cost me a lot of money until I remembered his words again.
Keep going
Cheers Bernd

Cyborg

VOC Member
Any thoughts on using a lock washer under the E80 that holds the 1/2 time pinion on?
Thinking blue loctite rather than punch locking should be sufficient provided everything is squeaky clean first. The lock washer would be in the mail for a few weeks if things went as per normal.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Starting to look like it might be a product of North Korea.
Now at 14 inch diameter this IS a timing disk! In case you wonder - its attached to the mainshaft on the ESA side and that hose fitting (in td 02) is temporary so I can set up the timed breather.
TD 02.jpgTD 01.jpg

Cyborg

VOC Member
Yes... after trying to peer into the timing chest at the breather, it didn't take long to figure out that a hose was a good idea. Works well. Blowing into the hose probably looks a little odd to the uninitiated.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Any thoughts on using a lock washer under the E80 that holds the 1/2 time pinion on?
Thinking blue loctite rather than punch locking should be sufficient provided everything is squeaky clean first. The lock washer would be in the mail for a few weeks if things went as per normal.
Lock washer B.S.A. (and Triumph?) part .no. 70-3975. cheaper and faster to obtain. May need a lick with a file on the i.d.

Cyborg

VOC Member
I've had reasonably good success with Loctite in most applications. I clean the parts until I'm sure they are absolutely spotless, clean them some more and then I use some plastic pipe cleaner/primer from the local hardware store. Its a mix of acetone and MEK. Takes a bit of searching to find the one with MEK, but it makes a great cleaner. Nothing beats MEK for removing varnish and crud from carbs other than maybe an ultrasonic bath and drill bits. I suppose I could just buy the Loctite primer/cleaner, but I now have a small stockpile of the MEK/acetone.
A look at post #76 in this thread probably explains why it is hit and miss using Loctite for things like spindles etc.
Being slightly paranoid, I'll probably add a punch lock.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I have spent the last three days staring at the nether parts of my empty cases with a view just like that trying to decide which of the 10,000 ways to mount a Norton gearbox I will use. Nice to see all these old Comets coming back to life. You have a good attitude. Nice work. As Bill says, all in good fun!

IMG_1015.jpg

Cyborg

VOC Member
Glad to hear you are making progress. My plates seem to be working out ok so far. I spent a lot of time trying to keep everything as compact as possible and not stretch out the wheelbase any more than necessary. I'll have to make up a bell rank of sorts to get the exhaust valve lifter to work.... although I think it was Bill who told me that only a pussy would need one to start a Comet.