E: Engine Comet for the 2020's

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
They do not look like holes for letting air escape to me. Much too large and not necessary if the other ends are open anyway. The only good news that I can see is that they are, more or less, on the neutral axis, that is where compression and tension are equal. If a ball peen hammer hitting the tubes suggests they are solid then I would seek advice on whether they could be welded up. They are far enough away from the rear castings that a good welder could probably seal them up before melting the braze where the tubes go into the casting. ClevTrev, or someone with similar experience, would be able to give you better advice than me on that. If in doubt then re-tubing the RFM lower tubes would be a good move and the rear castings could be re-used. As the upper tube bolts on to the casting then that is not at risk. Good luck with it.

timetraveller

VOC Member
The holes are on the inside of the tubes. Probably not for fixing racing plates but then who knows what could have been going through the mind of the person who did this?

vibrac

VOC Member
Well from the replys it would seem they are unique to this RFM, at least I have not missed them on all the RFM's for fifty years!