E: Engine Comet for the 2020's

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think that we have often touched on the difficulties with the Honda clutch and the handlebar lever certainly on the late Cooking Comet the clutch did not pull right to the bar and was very hard to pull Now the 2020 has all the gearbox clutch and even the cable of that bike.and I was contemplating a moto cross cable multiplier. I also wanted a front brake with a brake light switch and a equal pull pivot (I have taken off that front balance beam and am using twin cables) and a Suzuki one has both those atributes and of course that bought me a matching clutch lever. It has a pivot center of 30mm (about 1- 1/4" to you and me) and Bingo! a smooth clutch pull. Of course the real test will be under power that awaits final steering damper fitting, removal from the bench jig and (very importantly) the end to the nuclear winter senario weather we have had this so called spring in the UK .

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I would be surprised if a 30mm pivot gives you light clutch, or are you saying smooth but still a heavy pull? if we were using standard Doherty levers with 7/8ths pivot I would say it is only just about acceptable as long as you do not get caught up in stop start traffic, then it becomes painful, is your Suzuki lever a particularly long lever to get the extra leverage.

vibrac

VOC Member
You hit the nail on the head Peter I was surprised but its now a sweet pull freeing the kick start etc etc. In fact I was so intrigued I stuck the sister old front brake lever on and guess what its the same 30mm pivot(see picture) and leverage is only a fraction longer and my hand is the same as are the bars I know the old lever was not ideal but perhaps I will wait till I finish to get the full picture, as I still have to put the tank on it might be cable run (but I dont think so) and I still have to ride it but it is very strange
1523533556268.jpg

vibrac

VOC Member
Well the sun finally arrived outside so I managed to stop work on the Relay Rally steed (Onda) and oiled and fired up the 2020 as I expected the Mikuni from Allens did not need touching and she fired up on the rollers immediately I took her out on my one mile test loop and that suspension is as all say very good indeed. my hydraulic steering damper (my pattern) is a little heavy and the adjustment is non existent so I must pinch one off the racer Ange said it sounded a little 'wihiny' when it came back which worries me as she knows the Vincent sounds' I need to adjust tick over and I certainly think it was hot after about one minute I put the temperature gun on the head and got readings of 200-240
another session of checking I suppose
Pictures soon

vibrac

VOC Member
Another roller start test ride on the test loop (my rule is not to stray untill it kickstarts easily:oops:) after 200 odd miles on an XBR Honda yesterday on the Relay Rally I cam compare the Comet suspension very favorably, The next jobs are adjust tickover and fit more adjustable damper so I can start to test its pothole ability. My AO services charging indicator light has stopped working I think thats down to me connecting up the walkernator to the regulator wrong. overall Its pretty oil tight but there is still a slight whine to be investigated. Oh and the chain guard is rubbing -funny as its a brand new one and all around there is standard:confused:
2020LH.jpg

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Interesting aside on the damper the silver cheap one as shown in the above photo gave the same pull (4lbs) as the fully adjustable racer one on the lowest setting however the silver one exhibited some initial stiction from rest of 4.5 to 5 lbs whereas the racer one stayed steady at 4lbs I will fit the racer one (its also black ;))

vibrac

VOC Member
Give the girl a rosette 50 years of racing paddocks have done my higher sound hearing a deadly blow (It was worth it:eek:) Ange was right, the primary chain was like a bow string..now how the heck did that happen?..

Chris Launders

VOC Member
As the torque increases when the gearing reduces (more torque in the rear chain than the primary) any play around the gearbox mountings will cause the box to be pulled backwards so your rear chain may now be loose if the primary has tightened.