E: Engine Comet for the 2020's

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Another roller start test ride on the test loop (my rule is not to stray untill it kickstarts easily:oops:) after 200 odd miles on an XBR Honda yesterday on the Relay Rally I cam compare the Comet suspension very favorably, The next jobs are adjust tickover and fit more adjustable damper so I can start to test its pothole ability. My AO services charging indicator light has stopped working I think thats down to me connecting up the walkernator to the regulator wrong. overall Its pretty oil tight but there is still a slight whine to be investigated. Oh and the chain guard is rubbing -funny as its a brand new one and all around there is standard:confused:
View attachment 22047
I had to rework 2 new chain guards recently just to get them in the frame.

nkt267

VOC Member
Give the girl a rosette 50 years of racing paddocks have done my higher sound hearing a deadly blow (It was worth it:eek:) Ange was right, the primary chain was like a bow string..now how the heck did that happen?..
I thought the adjuster threads were fine on the Comet I'm building till the chain went tight..Helicoiling them on the bike was fun:mad:.john

vibrac

VOC Member
helicoil? tap it out next imperial whit size up we are dealing with Burman castings not some Jap aluminium egshells, anyway a couple of turns on the screws (counter intuitive direction*) sorted it
I have had a go starting it on the kickstart but I am not 18 anymore and it still needs a short roller burst to start-not ideal, so double check the timing next (B6ES plug .018 thou gap)

*You are moving the casting, not the spindle, so front screw in towards the back to move the casting towards the front (with the back screw out of the way). reverse screws move the back one in to tighten no wonder they strip:eek: done correctly you can almost move it with fingers

vibrac

VOC Member
Oh dear the timing rod slips in at 36 and is tight at 34-35 so I think the reason stopping spot on starting is else where I think a few more roller starting miles are needed (the piston and bore are brand new). Equal lift is near to tdc by eye and it runs fine on starting and running.

vibrac

VOC Member
Here is something you don't see everyday certainly its a first for me
checking the tappets the inlet pushrod wont twirl in my little pinkies Oh thinks I 'its closed up' I know they were set correctly on build. loosen nut turn back adjuster but rod still doesnt turn, more turns still solid, thoughts of mangled cam gear set in and how did it run supposedly with the inlet valve propped open? Then I see whats happened as I try and turn I hear tapping the push rod is stuck in the adjuster, turn the ajuster and the rod turns take out adjuster and it lifts off push rod as well! Anyone would think I put a smear of locktite in there not copper grease. perhaps its not flame hardened, Hey ho off with the tank and sort it out, biggest pain to come is fitting the damm rod back in the follower down the tube-ugh!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Another roller start test ride on the test loop (my rule is not to stray untill it kickstarts easily:oops:) after 200 odd miles on an XBR Honda yesterday on the Relay Rally I cam compare the Comet suspension very favorably, The next jobs are adjust tickover and fit more adjustable damper so I can start to test its pothole ability. My AO services charging indicator light has stopped working I think thats down to me connecting up the walkernator to the regulator wrong. overall Its pretty oil tight but there is still a slight whine to be investigated. Oh and the chain guard is rubbing -funny as its a brand new one and all around there is standard:confused:
View attachment 22047
Morning Vibrac, You say the starting is not good, How do you get on with the decompressor ?,Does the engine spin free with it open ?.
Ron says he can't seem to get his going with the one I got him with that method, Thinks they might work better with an Electric Starter.
I won't be going to his place for a month or so, To see for myself, I have longer legs than Ron !.
I have one I wanted to fit to my 560, Will have to drill and tap the cylinder head.
Is it not a good idea for singles ?.
Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
Morning Vibrac, You say the starting is not good, How do you get on with the decompressor ?,Does the engine spin free with it open ?.
Ron says he can't seem to get his going with the one I got him with that method, Thinks they might work better with an Electric Starter.
I won't be going to his place for a month or so, To see for myself, I have longer legs than Ron !.
I have one I wanted to fit to my 560, Will have to drill and tap the cylinder head.
Is it not a good idea for singles ?.
Cheers Bill.
Spins free bill it's been sat in the workshop for three weeks three reasons the endurance race at donnington a date with a new Kawasaki hire bike in keffalonia and grandson (8-1/2) first road race in British mini bike series hope to get back to itcthis week