F: Frame Coil Over Damper

flxible

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If memory serves, (nowadays that's a question..) Works Performance was making those shocks for Thornton, and when Gil (the founder) died in 2015, the company shut down soon after. (2017?)
Best-
George

davidd

VOC Member
As I remember, Gil's wife and an investor (a silent partner) were responsible for the business's finances. I believe that Gil's wife wanted to retire from her involvement and the investor was amenable to closing the business. The shop end of the business was run by Pierre, Gil's nephew. Pierre was very capable of running the machining and the administrative work, but Work's long-time machinist was about to retire. The financiers' decision to retire closed the business as there was no intention to continue manufacturing.

I believe that Race Tech suspension purchased much of the inventory of Works Performance and offered to do repairs with the limited parts they had in stock.

Subsequently, I heard Gil's daughter had created a business called "Worx", which sold shocks, but Works Performance was almost exclusively a custom shock manufacturer, which is not what Worx does. I only mention this because they have been upfront about not working on the Vincent shocks that Works Performance manufactured.

Laney Thornton stopped selling dampers when Works Performance closed down. Laney is still riding his Vincent. We spoke about a month ago and he is still very interested in Vincent suspension.

David

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Where can I buy a coil over damper for the RFM ? Regards Erik
As far as I know, AVO is the only company that has an easily available coil-over rear suspension unit to fit a Vincent rear UFM.
Rob Staley negotiated with AVO initially to get them to make a hydraulic damper. This works well and many people have fitted them on standard suspension front and rear to improve the ride and give some damping adjustment. Rob later got AVO to make a coil-over damper for the UFM of "B"/"C" and "D".
I did a lot of testing of the first units and have an AVO damper on my Girdraulics forks and a coil-over on the back. They are in my opinion the easiest solution to a much-improved riding experience on a Vincent.
The Coventry section had a visit to AVO a few years ago. It is a relatively small company only employing 4 or 5 people. I think we are lucky to have someone prepared to make units for our Vincent machines considering the relatively small number that they will ever sell. In these difficult times for all businesses, I hope that they are able to continue.

Link to AVO site Vincent Coil-Over

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I heard that the rear linkage of the Avo is not the yellow of the egg? Erik
I think the criticism levelled against the rear mount was that in designing the shock to give maximum stroke, the lower pivot has been moved from a central position to an offset position, some folks on this forum from an engineering background saw this as a flawed design as it would introduce side stresses onto the damper rod, but if the shock is correctly fitted, without any tightness at the pivots, the concerns seem to be completely unfounded, there are now plenty out there, being used in various conditions, and one would presume if there were problems and failures we would have heard about them by now.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I think the criticism levelled against the rear mount was that in designing the shock to give maximum stroke, the lower pivot has been moved from a central position to an offset position, some folks on this forum from an engineering background saw this as a flawed design as it would introduce side stresses onto the damper rod, but if the shock is correctly fitted, without any tightness at the pivots, the concerns seem to be completely unfounded, there are now plenty out there, being used in various conditions, and one would presume if there were problems and failures we would have heard about them by now.
I would agree with Peter's comments. It is several years now that these units have been in use by quite a few riders. My own experience is that I have experienced no problems even when carrying a passenger and luggage.

vibrac

VOC Member
During the extensive sorting of the Racing twin we had AVO change the rear shock till we were happy, this is not unexpected the requirements of racing are not the same as the road. we changed spring and valving
Luckily they are only a short journey from me and their charges were reasonable

Sten Jensen

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Would be interesting if AVO would make a coil-over damper for the girdraulic, similar to the Works / Thornton one. Could remove a bit of friction and weight from the front end.
I believe Greg Brillus found a damper that could be used for his twin racer, but do not know the details of that one.