Clutch issue

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
As you can see, the "horseshoe" washer sits directly under the hexagon nut in the shallow recess of the aluminium disc. This disc sits on two pins. You need only back the nut off enough to get out the horseshoe washer. Don't back off any more once resistance is felt, because it will "self- withdraw" the A.T.D. from the magneto shaft. If you haven't got a horseshoe washer you can make one. A good quality FLAT washer of half inch i.d. for memory about 1/16" thick and o.d. to suit the recess in the aluminium disc.Cut or mill the half-inch slot. Chances are it will be better than the original part as these were always soft, and deformed in service. Persevere!!!

kurtflys

Non-VOC Member
My clutch was slipping again yesterday. Darn it! I thought when I drained three table spoons of oil out of the chain case the problem was over. I pulled the plug again this morning and there was another couple of table spoons of oil in there. How does it get in there? I have only put 20 miles on the bike since i drained it the first time.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Kurt, I hope it's not coming from the gearbox, When checking always wipe the dip stick, And check often, Don't over fill, Just a bit on the end is enough, Good Luck,Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Kurt, That will always give you trouble. The drain bung is just below the kick start cover, Next to a crankcase joint stud and nut. Don't let the level get too low or bad things happen, Cheers Bill.

kurtflys

Non-VOC Member
Is this the drain plug that we are talking about?

Image.jpg

bmetcalf

VOC Member
No. You really should get an experienced Lone Star Section member over to help you. Did you get a Riders List with your membership? If so, use it to get contact info.

The trans drain plug is just behind where your pic shows.

Trans Drain plug.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Or get some good books on Vin's, There are lots of tricky things on these bikes, They are not like other makes, Cheers Bill.

kurtflys

Non-VOC Member
I do see the drain plug down there on the bottom, so thanks. I may only drain a cup os so out just to keep it from filing the other side. I do have many publications on the Vinnie, but the problem is that there is no definitive description of the over all bike with pictures. So then we have a language issue when describing different areas on the bike. In the handbook it says that "the drain plug is screwed into the gearbox wall in a protected position behind the R.H. pivot bering plate(i.e. forward and below the gearbox sprocket). Not sure what a pivot bearing plate is. Anyway it's fun learning something new and there is plenty to learn on the old bike.
Thanks