Cleaning out UFM / Oil Tank

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just to add another two penorth. The dirty state of an oil tank I descibed above refers to the ex-Cecil Mills bike. I did the same on the oil tank off my production class sprinter and it was absolutely clean. I have no idea what the previous history of this tank was, perhaps very low milage, but certainly not all tanks are really dirty inside.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
When my Rapide was rebuilt in the early 90's my Dad took the UFM to work at Dorman Diesels and submerged it in the heated engine cleaning tank.
After 24 hours the paint and rust on the outside of the UFM had gone, and the rubish inside had totally dissolved, including any alloy flakes. An engine borescope was used to inspect inside and it looked like brand new shiny steel. A coat of paint was then quickly applied to the outside and a coating of oil applied inside the UFM as you could visibly see the steel changing colour as it reacted to the moisture in the air.

Not sure what the cleaning fluid was, but everybody who worked there called it "the acid tank". This cleaning tank was used for cleaning newly machined steel and cast iron parts and for also cleaning used diesel engines for rebuilding. Any aluminium placed in the cleaning tank had to be removed quickly as it would dissolve if left too long.

Unfortunately Dormans in Lincoln no longer exists. Pity as at least another 8+ UFM's were also cleaned this way all with the same perfect result.

Cheers
Simon.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
An engine borescope was used to inspect inside
Does this mean a borescope can be used to see everywhere that sludge could be hiding? Or, did it look so good everywhere that the borescope could see that it was assumed even places that might have been inaccessible were fine? If a borescope can be used to completely inspect inside, that's a lot easier than cutting it open, finding all was fine, then rewelding.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Does this mean a borescope can be used to see everywhere that sludge could be hiding? Or, did it look so good everywhere that the borescope could see that it was assumed even places that might have been inaccessible were fine? If a borescope can be used to completely inspect inside, that's a lot easier than cutting it open, finding all was fine, then rewelding.

As far as I can remember there was nothing large enough to block the view using the borescope, just some internal pipes and a flat cross brace which you could just about see around, but it was 20 years ago!!! The borescope used was quite a small flexable one, used for inspecting inside engines and castings.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
When my Rapide was rebuilt in the early 90's my Dad took the UFM to work at Dorman Diesels and submerged it in the heated engine cleaning tank.
After 24 hours the paint and rust on the outside of the UFM had gone, and the rubish inside had totally dissolved, including any alloy flakes. An engine borescope was used to inspect inside and it looked like brand new shiny steel. A coat of paint was then quickly applied to the outside and a coating of oil applied inside the UFM as you could visibly see the steel changing colour as it reacted to the moisture in the air.

Not sure what the cleaning fluid was, but everybody who worked there called it "the acid tank". This cleaning tank was used for cleaning newly machined steel and cast iron parts and for also cleaning used diesel engines for rebuilding. Any aluminium placed in the cleaning tank had to be removed quickly as it would dissolve if left too long.

Unfortunately Dormans in Lincoln no longer exists. Pity as at least another 8+ UFM's were also cleaned this way all with the same perfect result.

Cheers
Simon.

Most likely caustic soda or a citric acid concentrate. I've had a couple of car bodies and bike frames dipped prior to doing restoration and it's the only way to go. Lead, bondo, fiber glass, aluminum, and rust all magically disappears. What's left behind looks brand new. The down side is if there is a crevice the acid can hide in it will and will come out only after you've painted or powder coated. http://internationalpaintstripping.com/Page_2.html this is a firm near me that does. I haven't used them yet. the firms I have used in the past have gone out of business or quit doing it because of EPA regs. If you do a search for chemical paint stripping you should find a few to choose from.
Steven

Dinny

VOC Member
Those were the days.... I believe it was caustic something and yes it needs to be fully rinsed, I still have an Enfield who's frame still blisters as the acid bleeds out.

i hope my UFM went in as I cannot remember.... To many beers since.

Cheers

Mark

Last edited:

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Your UFM probably did go through the cleaning tank if dad had anything to do with it as he did several for Ray Mawson and others. Dorman's had an unofficial Vincent oil tank cleaning production line in the late 80's to early 90's. Along with production of other Vin parts!!!!!
Simon

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
P1080061.jpg
Has anyone used a borescope to inspect the inside of a tank? Is there sufficient room to maneuver a borescope to see everywhere? I understand that if there is hardened junk in the crevices that cutting it open is likely the only way to remove the junk, but it would be nice to be able to inspect it after a "thorough" cleaning, before cutting, to see if surgery were needed.

Hi Magneto man, I flushed my UFM several times with an excellent degreaser/solvent THEN inspected the innards with borescope and was a little surprised by the amount of gunk still inside, so cut inspection hole and cleaned it properly.....just made me feel a little more secure.
Regards
Kevin

Last edited: