Cleaning out UFM / Oil Tank

Magnetoman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Magneto man, I flushed my UFM several times with an excellent degreaser/solvent THEN inspected the innards with borescope
That's exactly the approach I'm considering. If solvents manage to clean it, so a hole isn't necessary, so much the better. Your photo makes me worry, though. Can you get a borescope into the area to the right of the "dam" that's in the middle of the window you made into the UFM without having to make that window?

timetraveller

VOC Member
I am going to try to reply to Bill Thomas's posting No 12 above. I do not think that I can put an engineering drawing on here so will try to describe the details. There are only two part plus an 'o' ring. The lower part is made from steel, has a top hat shape with an internal thread which is the same as all the Vin inspection caps 1.75 x 20 It is made from 2.5" steel round bar and has a lip at the top of the internal thread to act as a seal against the 'o' ring. Total height is 0.5" of which 0.1" is the top flange. The 'o' ring is a 50 mm external diameter with a section of 3 mm. The plug can be made of brass, bronze or aluminium and all the ones I have had made were from ali. This plug is also 0.5" deep with the threaded part below the 'o' ring groove being 0.28" deep. The cut out in the top of the plug has a curved base and the thickness is made to equal that of a K1 or K3 spanner. There are at least three different thicknesses of these so it you want to make one yourself then make it to fit your own spanners. If anyone would like proper drawings of these items then I can send them as a WORD file with all the dimentions etc annotated. enw07@btinternet.com If there was enough interest then I could get a few made.

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
That's exactly the approach I'm considering. If solvents manage to clean it, so a hole isn't necessary, so much the better. Your photo makes me worry, though. Can you get a borescope into the area to the right of the "dam" that's in the middle of the window you made into the UFM without having to make that window?

Hi Magnetoman, I bought a cheap, colour screen, recordable borescope with a flex shaft and u can see all around the UFM without a problem, I am trying to find a drawing sent to me by the late Phil Primmer that shows UFM Innards, he posted on forum also but cannot find it.

Regards Kevin

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I tried a search using UFM then UFM internal with ET43 with no results. I have been unsuccessful with the forum and photo search recently for info that I posted. Can an expert give it a try?

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes I think a normal forum search is a little lacking with the sort of technical info we are building up a good directed (big?) data base search application could have a field day and would benifit us all.
NB when you find that nugget of info dont forget to add a pinch of critical evaluation

timetraveller

VOC Member
Careful here chaps with regards to drawings. I have cut holes in the top of a few oil tanks to fit a 'manhole' and the position of the tube which goes from the oil return to the chain oiler varies a lot. On some tanks it is almost at the bottom of the tank while on others it is so near the top that while using a hole saw to make the hole to fit the manhole one has to be very careful not to cut into that tube. It is possible that the main components are typically in the same place in each tank but I have not done enough other than to say 'be careful'.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I think there is a way to use Google to search just a website such as this, but I haven't looked into that. I could probably Google it to find out!

nkt267

VOC Member
drawing sent to me by the late Phil Primmer that shows UFM Innards, he posted on forum also but cannot find it.
Main club site..Articles..Whitikapedia..Frame forks etc..UFM...inside ufm..Plus stuff on manholes etc...John

Last edited:

Magnetoman

VOC Member
I bought a cheap, colour screen, recordable borescope with a flex shaft and u can see all around the UFM without a problem
Borescopes used to be extremely expensive devices but thanks to advances in sensor technology you can now get ones for less than $15 on eBay (that use your computer's display, not a built in one). I love applying the latest technology to problems of rebuilding motorcycles made a half-century (or more) ago.

vibrac

VOC Member
Main club site..Articles..Whitikapedia..Frame forks etc..UFM...inside ufm..Plus stuff on manholes etc...John
steady on John, suggesting looking at the main site and articles that have been there for years! whatever next..... reading a book? :)