Changing oil with an anti-wet sump pump valve?

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
It cannot be removed with the oil off, so it's different than your room key which was only a bit awkward to remove and take with you, but obviously still possible.
I won't be installing these on the other Vins as they keep their oil in the tank quite well, only wet sumping after a month of more of sitting.
For this bike it solved the problem and keeps the floor dry, no more smokey startups which coke up everything.

vibrac

VOC Member
Ive just sorted the non return tap in the bottom of my KSS oil tank the lever is 2ba so I substituted a 2ba screw with a tab and attached the ring of a concertina lead key chain (plastic highly coloured) and then drilled a hole in the front brake handlebar lever. When I not using the bike and its off I will clip to handle bar when Its on I will clip to saddle.
The main object of the excercise is of course so as not to waste any 'R' and not seizing the Velo is a bonus:rolleyes:.

Jim Bush

VOC Member
Not to raise any more discussion on ASV verses not or other... I have just received my first Vincent 47 Rapide and am trying to fettle before starting, riding. A Conway ASV is fitted. The bike was shipped across Canada and had all the fluids drained. I took the opportunity to replace the banjo washers as the lines had been leaking, so consequently the oil feel line is now drained. I disconnected the feed pipe below the ASV and pumped oil down there - with air bubbles etc, I have no idea how much is in there. The bottom banjo does have a small allen head screw in it.

I am looking for some specific instructions on priming the feed side of the oil pump please.

I also considering removing a ASV and determine how bad the standing flow is - the previous owner must have had a reason to install it.

vibrac

VOC Member
I think the Vincent loves air bubbles they pass my eyes every time I glance at the pipe at the front of my egli oil cap as I barrel down the road

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Jim my handsome,
The main reason owners fit ASV valves is that they do not use them enough, leave the ASV out of service check the sump quantity by draining after a run. If the pump is in reasonable condition the bikes shoud be able to stand a month. When it's left for a week and not drained after the previous run then measure and you will see how much it sumps, then two & three week intervals and you will get to know the bike. I do not have to drain my "B" any more as I'm retired but when at sea and away six months I had to drain before using but kick over first so B/E is swomped in oil. On "A's" it is a gear p/p always sump so I fitted a bell crank onto my petrol tap and a link rod to the oil tap so they are both on or off. Many a mistake has happed when the oil has been forgotten.
bananaman.

Jim Bush

VOC Member
leave the ASV out of service check the sump quantity by draining after a run.....you will get to know the bike

I am leaning to removing the ASV and as you suggest get to know the bike.

I own Norton's with a ASV and am prepared for the risk of failure, but the Vincent is another story.

b'knighted

VOC Member
The risk of catastrophic failure is less with the Vincent as you can check oil flow whilst astride with the engine running. I believe that there is a bleed screw above the Conways ASV to let you prime the pipe above it once you’ve refilled with oil and if you are still concerned you should find a way to suck the oil down to the feed banjo. Then you can rotate the engine until oil issues forth from the return under the filler cap. This is where you can check the oil flow every time you’ve started the engine. Us poor D owners have to lift the seat. I suppose that’s why it was called a gentleman’s motorcycle.