Changing oil with an anti-wet sump pump valve?

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I don't like anything in the feed line, but has anyone considered a simple, off the shelf 12 (6) volt solenoid valve. Options electric on valve open or electric off valve open.

H

vibrac

VOC Member
I don't like anything in the feed line, but has anyone considered a simple, off the shelf 12 (6) volt solenoid valve. Options electric on valve open or electric off valve open.

H
Norton owners have o_O

I have a manual tap on my 850 with an interlock which isolates the electrics if the tap is not switched on - I fitted this 10 years ago and it works fine. The system is fail safe as, if there is an electrical fault, the ignition is immediately disabled. The valve/solenoid referred to at the beginning of this topic does not appear to work in this fashion - it would appear that if there is any type of electrical problem, the valve will close and cut off the oil supply - this would be somewhat serious!
Mark Woodward

Howard

VOC Member
As I said, I don't like valves so I'm not really interested and I haven't thought it through, but it would appear not to fail safe. The alternative would be to use a normally open valve, but that would involve having power to the valve when the bike is not running, and I think an optimate charger would be essential on a Vin. When I get a few minutes, I'll look at the options.

H

Russell Kemp

VOC Member
As Martyn said or better still ride the bike more :) I drilled and tapped my A26 Drain Plug 1/4" BSF and used part number 188 and ET188 to plug the hole (lock wired of course) but I never needed to drain the crankcase as the Pump had been replaced and as most people know I rode the bike a lot :)

davidd

VOC Member
In every day riding it is usually not a problem. If you don't ride but once a month it is usually not a big deal to check.

I have seen some mechanical interlocks that seemed fool proof. On gent had the fuel lever attached to and oil lever of the same style. Turn on one and the other turns also. But I think this is harder to do than it appears.

If you look at some of the disasters with Nortons, you will gladly drain the sump!

http://www.accessnorton.com/anti-sump-failure-t22340.html

David

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
34,000 miles in eight years with an anti drain valve. Its only there because it was there when I bought the bike. Oil changes done via the afore mentioned syringe from the top of the oil tank.