Changing oil with an anti-wet sump pump valve?

yorchie

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Want to change the oil on my C Comet and nothing comes out. I have what looks to be a "anti-wet sump pump valve" installed. What to do?

davidd

VOC Member
I can think of so many answers, but I am certain that others won't be able to resist!

The simple answer is undo the clamp above the valve and drain it. You can slip a larger tube over the oil line to get the oil to your pan.

You might do away with it. I would not use one on my bike, but I understand why some do use it. You might try it without the valve and see if you can stand draining the sump occasionally. If it is more you can put it back on.

David

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
Save yourself the trouble of breaking sealed fittings and just get yourself a large oil syringe and suck it out of the tank top.

Phelps.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Come on David, Can you tell us why not to use one ?.
I have never seen one, But have thought about fitting one. Cheers Bill.

davidd

VOC Member

Bill,

It is just with 3 lbs. oil pressure I worry about how weak the spring must be to provide oil at idle. It would seem to me that a spring that weak would have some trouble sealing at rest. I suspect at riding speeds it is fine. I have always liked the Egli's feature of showing the oil circulating. But, most of the oil pumps I am running were built before the clearances in the pumps were increased because of improper fitting.

David

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Far be it from me to second guess Davids reasons for not using an anti sumping device, but here goes, it depends what device you choose to use, on Old Harry, Marcus Bowden has fitted an ingenious device connected to the petrol lever tap, turn the petrol on and off and you automatically also turn the oil on and off, foolproof and without any flow restriction whatsoever. Some other devices that are totally automatic and rely on the oil pump suction that the pump creates to unseat a sprung loaded ball off a seat to allow oil to pass, this only happens when the engine has been started and the pump creates suction, I purchased one of these devices, but one attempt at sucking the ball of its seat using my own lung power was enough to concern me, simply put it must detract somewhat to the already questionable performance of the Vincent lubrication system, if I have got it wrong, sorry David.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I never thought the oil went round very fast on a Vin', But I have just been helping Ron with another of his Projects !!.
This Twin has not moved for decades, And we could not get the air locks out the lines like I have in the past.
So Ron rigged up a Funnel where the shut off valve is , On the main feed.
He was topping it up like a Mad thing !!, While I was running the engine, I thought there was a hole in the bottom !, And this was with 40 oil on a cold day.
Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
We had primed everything, In the past I undo the feed pipe and just keep filling the pipe, But this time we had to undo the return banjo on the bottom of the tank and make a Mess !, But all worth it. Cheers bill.

A_HRD

VOC Member
I'm with David. I had a colleague with one fitted to his Shadow that had stood for a winter; consequently the oil below the anti-sumping valve had drained down leaving air in its place. Being a rider and not an engineer, he took the bike out for it's first Spring ride and about 10 miles later he wondered why, at traffic lights, the engine sounded like a bag of nails. He rode it slowly home and then faced a bill of thousands of pounds. All because the pump was sucking at air and the ball wouldn't open because the system hadn't been primed.

As Bill Hancock used to say "Keep it Standard!" Even if it does mean you wear out your drain-plug after a few years….

Peter B,
Bristol, UK.