Changing oil with an anti-wet sump pump valve?

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Since long periods of Twin inactivity (also known as either Winter or Comet riding) always end with dolop of oil down the push rod tubes and a session on my mains rollers with the plugs out, wet sumping is not a big problem to me. and has been said before the amount sumped it often depends on the actual rotary position of the pump when the music died.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Use them regular enough every thing is fine. Before leaving for sea (4 to 10 month intervals) I would fill cylinders and empty oil tank into sump, most times on return from sea cylinders would have drained. At least the bearings would have been preserved. Sea air is good for health but not Vincent's.

yorchie

VOC Member
Looks like I have a "Conway anti-wet sump valve". The oil line slipped off the oil line attachment coming from the frame/oil tank. Long funnel and the oil drained properly. I have always taken off my oil cap to make sure I see oil pumping into the frame. Am going to leave it as-is since it works and don't have to worry about wet sumping during winter. Have seen the drain plugs to tap into the lower oil line for extended storage and that looks like the best way to deal with wet sump issues.

john998

VOC Member
Hello, be very careful to make sure that there are no air leaks in the oil feed pipe work.
If there is the ball valve won't open.
Velocette use a similar valve under the oil tank and my MAC seized up due to this problem.
John.

vibrac

VOC Member
there is a you tube of the two anti sumping valve types
I don't find the first very convincing as the pump is not primed but its interesting
The second ignition interrupt is ok if you are unfortunate enough to have coil ignition. but it occurs to me that if you could change the switch from what I assume is
On electrical = On oil to on oil=off electrical you could wire it into a mag cut out button.
I have a manual tap on my Velocette KSS and last year I did forget to turn it on fortunately I remembered in time because it had leaked over the winter anyway and the sump was full of oil!
I am sitting on the fence on this one

vibrac

VOC Member
I have a link on an old forum (2010)
A W Dove, 322 Skip Lane, Walsall, WS5 3RA on 01922 623571 magneto cut out for AMC singles and twins no idea if its still live....

vibrac

VOC Member
Reading round it seems that some have been made up with door switches and waterproof items like this (US) http://www.colehersee.com/home/item/cat/148/9216/ I guess RS does something similar
It would not be too hard to set one up so that it operates on (or doesn't with a mag) when the oil tap lever is rotated to the on position
off when the oil is on is the fail safe option chalk another one up for mags ;)

Bob Zwarts

Non-VOC Member
Contact details for the oil tap with cut-out switch mentioned above are -
A.W. Dove, 41 Princefield Avenue
Penkridge Stafford ST19 5HG phone
01785 598616 email andrewdove@sky.com
This is from the February 2016 issue of the Jampot magazine. Please note I am only giving this for information and in no way endorse the use of any tap, valve, or other restriction in the oil supply line!