Centre of flywheels and lateral centre of weight for a twin engine.

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Sasha Montigu held a Vincent Rally at his ranch in Southern Alberta last week. What a beautiful spot.

I rode the Glenli there, but got away one day later than the small group of riders from BC. The first day was approximately 600 miles thru the mountains, so it was a good test. I could have stopped sooner but thought I would catch up to the group who were planning to be in Cranbrook that night. I got to Cranbrook (about 500 miles) in good time then received a text from Tony Cording to say that the group had decided to stop for the night in Sparwood instead. This was another 80 miles down the road, but the weather was nice and the bike is very comfortable, even after 500 miles, so I pressed on.
I got to Sparwood in about 11 hours including stops, not bad considering Mapquest says it is a 15.5 hour run.

I've added Apex Riser bars to the bike and set them in a position that gives a more upright riding stance. It seems to be the best allround riding position for a longhaul. If I am more upright as on the standard Vincent or on the Commando, there is more weight on the tailbone and it gets painful afterwhile. Leaned ahead just a bit, the weight comes off the tailbone and onto the wrists when static, but this weight gets cancelled out by the windlift on the body at speed. So you are lifting some weight off your seat and letting the wind carry it. Sort of an antigravity position I suppose. At the same time you are not having to hold against the wind as one does at speed when in the fully upright position, so this is less tiring as well.

With the good suspension and big rubber the bike just floats over the rough stuff.

Glen

rallysasha010.jpg

rallysasha012.jpg

Last edited: