Centre of flywheels and lateral centre of weight for a twin engine.

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Dag

Might be a good thing that I'm teaching some basic woodworking at a kids camp on an island all this week, can't get my hands on the bike. The brake parts will be in when I get home.

With everything else done except the back brake, I couldn't resist taking it out for a ride.
Even without the back brake it stops a lot quicker than any of my other bikes. But it also goes faster too!

I'll be interested to hear a report on your first run.

Glen

Last edited:

dagriise@online.no

Non-VOC Member
I am starting to get unpatient! But will -amongst others have to cure a jamming kick starter... AND get new brakeshoes in ...my rear brake. I am very excited about getting the engine running, as this is a "all new parts" build that has had lots of fit issues... BUT luckily the Vincent comunity has been very helpfull!

Build shoots: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dagsinclair/sets/

Dag

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Dag,
I see Colin Taylor in your photos. What a lovely bike you have created.:D (Google translation.)

Jeg ser Colin Taylor i bildene dine. For en herlig sykkel du har opprettet.;-)
Cheers, john

Last edited by a moderator:

dagriise@online.no

Non-VOC Member
Thanks John,
Yepp, Colin first made a non fitting exhaust pipe, and we then agreed that the only way to make it fit perfectly was for him to come and build it on the bike! Great fun, and i completed it by buying a "Raw unplated" goldie silencer from Armours, and brazing on the inlet, and tabs.. (+ Lambda outlets on the pipes..) All down to Colin for plating, and back for a perfect fitting exhaust! Great job!

Regards Dag

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Glen,

Congratulations! Your road test sounds very similar to some of the descriptions offered by early road testers of the Eli-Vincent. At the time the Egli was quite controversial, but you can see why those who rode them like Peter Gerrish and Allan Lancaster were taken with them.

David

Thanks David.
I really appreciate all of the input from you and the other posters in this thread. I got some great ideas from the replies and even more importantly, got motivated to get on with it. The bike is quite different from a traditional Egli so it wont be everyones ideal machine, but it sure is a nice ride, the rear suspension really soaks up the bumps.
Had it out again today for 100 miles or so, no problems.

Glen

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I've put about a thousand miles on it now. A couple of small problems have shown up, one with the rear brake sticking, the other with the hi tech speedo. The sending unit supplied by Dakota Digital quit after a few miles, as did the replacement. The second replacement was tested by Dakota Digital for several hours before being shipped, it has worked fine. Dakota Digital is a great Company to deal with.
The bike is a real joy to ride, so it's time to use it for some serious travelling. During the build stages I didnt give a single thought toward using the bike in this way, so there was really no provision for luggage or mounting. On top of that the wonderful Craven top box and panniers from my Rapide would look bizarre on there, even if they could be attached somehow.

These saddlebags from Cortech fit rather nicely. There is also a tailbag that goes where a top box would. It clips to the saddlebags. Not sure if it will be needed for solo touring.
The saddlebags are expandable so they hold quite a lot. There are outside map pockets, and some luminescent detailing.
I will need to fabricate a snap-on bracket to keep the bags in place at rear. With this frame design there is nothing back there for attachment.

Glen

004-16-1.jpg

004-13.jpg

Last edited:

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
The stripes on the wheels are luminescent The effect of the camera flash on the material makes the wheels look as though they are on fire. In real life they are very similar to the red painted stripes that were on the original Vincent wheels.
Keep it stock!;-)

Glen

Last edited:

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
Congratulations Glen! The end result is nothing short of stunning. I am personally not a fan of wide tyres & banana Egli tanks, but the aesthetics of your bike are brilliant, I love it. And on top of all that, there are a bunch of us who offered sugestions, and maybe others who just read, who have also benefitted from information shared in this post, thank you for that. Well done all round! :D

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Thanks Roy.
Some people can operate in a vacumn and produce all sorts of great things, but I require some outside input in order to get anywhere. This forum is a great asset to the Vincent Community and I found it most helpful , especially at the start in order to get a fix on how to begin with this project.
The weather here has been the coldest on record for the last 40 years, so the riding opportunies have been limited. The bike now is at the 1500 mile mark and I'm still very happy with the overall design.

I have made a minor change or two, will take a new photo and post it.

Glen