Centre of flywheels and lateral centre of weight for a twin engine.

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
progress

Got a bit more of it tacked together.

The Mill worked great for all of the end coping. Just measure the angle with a bevel square, cut a plywood wedge at that angle and place it the Mill vise to put the pipe at the correct bevel. 60 seconds of cutting and you have a perfect compound cope, no grinding necessary, other than removing the hair edge.

Glen

Attachments

• some egli progress 010.jpg
    some egli progress 010.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 103
  • some egli progress 012.jpg
    some egli progress 012.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 102
  • some egli progress 020.jpg
    some egli progress 020.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 101
  • some egli progress 021.jpg
    some egli progress 021.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 101
  • some egli progress 022.jpg
    some egli progress 022.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 100

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Sort of a peripheral item, but did you make a special cradle for the hydraulic lift to match the contours under the engine?

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
No, nothing that fancy, just used some wooden shims. Jigging was also done with wood, it was pretty simple but worked well. I took lots of pictures of the step by step in case I end up doing another of these at some point, or if someone else is interested.

I mainly used level and plumb as the jig.

Glen

Last edited:

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I took the frame off the engine today. In preparation for permanent welding, gave the frame a couple of temporary braces as well as spacers between the engine mount tangs and the bottom attachments.

I did all the small dia tube welds. It took a lot longer to do the welds than expected, lots of tight angles to get setup on.

Attachments

• weld thin wall 001.jpg
    weld thin wall 001.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 72
  • weld thin wall 003.jpg
    weld thin wall 003.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 80
  • weld thin wall 005.jpg
    weld thin wall 005.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 76
  • weld thin wall 008.jpg
    weld thin wall 008.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 77

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
The fixed part of the frame is done except for the filler spout, which is made and fitted. I'll weld that on after I know the height of the fuel tank.

I had to heat and tweak the frame a bit to get everything to line up again after final welding.

Other than that, no progress except the discovery of a lovely Tig torch holder. I frequent a welding website where the contributors are always coming up with unique and sometimes elaborate Tig torch holders.

What do you think, isn't this the ultimate Tig torch holder?

Attachments

• glenli 001.jpg
    glenli 001.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 89
  • glenli 002.jpg
    glenli 002.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

b'knighted

VOC Member
I think you are mistaken. It was designed before Tig torches had been even considered. It must be an Oxy/Acetylene torch holder being used for a more modern purpose!

Merry Christmas!

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
Very nice work sir! Now for the acid etching, or do you glass bead? Like the the access bung too. Dont get any hydroflouric acid on you, its a killer. (Guess i'm preaching to the converted?)
Looks like a tig torch to me, the bike cables behind are a little distracting, cant see if it is one of the adjustable angle head types. I'm probably the last one to use an oxy acetylene torch with liquid flux dispenser for Sif bronzing!Cheers. R

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
My friend Dag Riise uses a similar rig (Gasfluxxer) with very good results.

I'm planning to do some more polishing of the frame and then leave it at that. Being stainless 316 I think it will hang in there with the occasional light polish.

The access bung is from Bruce's link, BungKing. It's an O ring seal type, SS 316 weldin ring and Aluminium plug. I'm going to machine the plug out for a magnet, which can be fixed into the plug with epoxy.

You are correct, the TIG torch is the type with a flex head. It is a small wp 9size but still good for 125 amps.
It made a big improvement to my welding as compared with the wp 26 aircooled 200 amp fixed head torch I was using a few months ago.

Last edited: