Castrol 'R"

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
mobil1 substitute

It has been my experience dexron automatic transmission fluid works very well in the primary drive. Most of the same parts are common to both units. tele forks+ vin dampers too!

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
I use Morris MLR 40 in all compartments (in the engine!) and it doesn't gum up if you leave it in primary and gearbox. I change the engine oil and filter every meeting so cannot comment on this but have found castor oil great for racing but no experience in road use.
Regarding the clutch, I have had problems with my V3 grabbing and making shreeking sounds on takeoff (admitedly thrashing it at full revs and power in a race sidecar) but have found that soaking the plates in Castrol RS oil for a few weeks before use lasts a three day meeting. I also buy my friction plates from ebay for about NZ $35 a set as I've broken a few (due to the vibration/shreeking) and also have had a few sets catch fire in use. Best clutch I've run yet! Cheers David

Pharquarx

Non-VOC Member
I'm going to check this out, I have never smelled this smell before, but it seems to have a lot of people excited (eyes open and everything!!). I scored an unopend can of Castrol R 40 weight on ebay. Should I mix a couple of teaspoons into the gasoline tank and run it through?

champion

VOC Member
My father claims to have once tried making 'Castrol R' incense candle in his youth...

obviously the idea fell flat on its face cos I'm not the heir to any family fortune.

At least the shed wasnt blown up / burnt down in the process :D

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Castrol R

The recommended (by Castrol) way to get the smell of R - and it is instantly recognised - is to add a teaspoonful to every gallon of petrol. Curious: I never thought to hear my wife say "what's that lovely smell" for stuff that only costs £22 for 5 litres, not £122 for 5ml.
I run a Manx on R. It goes through the Norton motor three times (it has to be drained off after meetings or it sumps) then goes into a Rudge Ulster. I've been doing that for about 5 years now. The Rudge motor is clean inside and out, and doesn't sludge, form an irremovable varnish on the outside of the engine, or do any of the things old wife's tales tell you it will. (I suspect these were born when R was pure castor oil in the teens of the 20th century.) Any bike cleaner will shift it. I'd happily run it in the twin, but believe that SAE 40 oil is far too heavy for a motor that runs so cool. What R DOES do is create bright orange stains on any clothing with which it comes into contact, which resist certainly Persil Biological, but probably Persil Nuclear.
For information, the Manx box is run on ATF, and has been for nearly 15 years. Most actively raced Manxes are. ATF is about SAE 10. It works well in chaincases too.
I run Mobil1 0-30 there because it reduces sticking which the PV3 clutch (which is run fully wet after someone's chaincase mod) is prone to, left for a day or so. Once it has been freed off, it behaves perfectly. If anyone else with a fully wet PV3 clutch has found a solution for this problem, please advise. It's a minor irritation, but I'm curious.

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

VOC Member
Thanks for that Bruce :p Trouble is R has to go through a four stroke to smell just right:rolleyes: stink wheels and candles are just not the right ambience, A Harrison lathe on EN3B at high revs and a long cut can get near ;)(you think I would throw used R away!):eek:

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Having been the passenger on a TZ 700 Yamaha outfit using pre-mixed Castrol R where we were competing in our National Championship I can categorically state that the smell never came into the equation and that I've never been so terrified in my life. I have a lot of respect for 'stink wheels' both before and after this surreal experience. Now that I've 'retired' from racing I use old R in my lawn mower to bring back those fond (??) memories - like Vibrac I've saved most of my old oil.

Albervin

VOC Member
Thanks for that Bruce :p Trouble is R has to go through a four stroke to smell just right:rolleyes: stink wheels and candles are just not the right ambience, A Harrison lathe on EN3B at high revs and a long cut can get near ;)(you think I would throw used R away!):eek:
So if you were riding behind a Scott that was using R would you stay behind and inhale or overtake?