Castrol 'R"

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Apart from using genuine Castrol R , how can I get my Rapide to smell of burnt "R"? I have tried Castor oil from the Chemist/Grocery store in both the petrol and oil tank, but nary a whiff of the good stuff. Alchemists potions, hopefully plausible, eagerly administered and results published.
Dont nanny about with teaspoons take the plunge use Castrol R tahts the stuff by the litre in the big hole in the centre of your tank (I should strip and clean your engine first) we don't want the remains of long dead marine animals polluting our essence of bean oil any noise you here will be your cams thanking you.

NB R30 would take a very cold morning to need a saucepan to warm it up the Alphabet twin never needed such treatment if I had a set of gearbox internals I could start it today

vibrac

VOC Member
So if you were riding behind a Scott that was using R would you stay behind and inhale or overtake?
Overtake a Scott? As an owner myself I could not do that:rolleyes:. My Son on the Comet does occasionally but only when Roger Moss is riding he certainly diddn't when the late Paul Dobbs (Dobbo) was riding it. "A Man Possessed" was Bens most printable comment. I think Dobbos Cadwell lap times on Rogers Scott (1929?) were same as upper mid field in a contemporary super-bike race

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I used to run my Ducati Darmah on R, this was recommended to me by Steve Wynne of Sports Motorcycles, he said the modern oils (this is the early 90s) were full of long chain polymers which in a plain bearing motor (read car and japanese bike engine) was great but in a gear driven, roller bearing engine was useless as the gears, especially the helical ones just chopped the polymers to nothing and you ended up with oil like water.
The manual said Duckhams 20/50w with this he said you would be lucky to get 15k without the big end going, mines done 48k and is still like new inside.
I once in the early 70s went to Cadwell folowing a scent or R but never seeing another bike, I arrived 10 minutes behind a mate who was running his commando on it !!

vibrac

VOC Member
Sorry, Rogers Scott is not 29 its 1934 (not renowned for major alterations the Scott, not unlike our beasts)

greg brillus

VOC Member
Whilst we are talking Castor oils.....and by some chance I am running it in the racer....what do you use to wash it down with. Say if I removed the timing cover to inspect the cams/followers, what can I wash the cover down with, that will dilute the castor oil and blow dry with compressed air...?

vibrac

VOC Member
First thing to state in my experience of R30 the internals of an engine even between seasons remain the cleanest you can ever expect never found any gummy deposits at all and I can forget worrying about getting oil on my hands simply wash them at the end of the exercise. The outside where the air gets to the oil is a different matter I always wipe off the suplus immediately (I had a warped timing cover on the GF last season) but then carb cleaner (expensive) or petrol does the job (gloves on now) often WD40 seems to do the trick. Normal cleaning follows no worse than a conventional oil - god I hate cleaning a bike after a meeting , I enjoy it better just before even though its harder, absolutely the wrong attitude:oops:

vibrac

VOC Member
Cellulose thinners is just dandy, I also use watchmakers degreaser with excellent results as they also use a vegetable base lube. Roy. P S, old r makes good wood preservative for fences etc.
After the bike, after the lathe, then on the woodwork (for sure my wooden lifting bench wont rot)

greg brillus

VOC Member
Yes that is what I use, Morris MLR 40. Changed the oil and filter three times now, and looked in the timing chest twice......All clean and "As new" condition...no cam and follower wear visible. Very happy so far, cheers.......Greg.