Brampton fork details

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
No No hack not
the unit I have fits onto the claw (I have a spare sping somewhere I took off)
I have a suspension guy who has said he can make a batch but I have never got enough interest to take it further

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Shame on you Peter. My unit is fastened at the top as per normal and then fastened to the headlamp bracket. Been that way for 14 years and no problems. The unit is a modified Koni with adjustable pre-load and adjustable damping.

Thanks for shaming me, my hacksaw was poised, is your unit working as coil over Koni, I guess it must be, if so can you give some more detail on the spring and ancillaries and how the Koni is modified

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I'd like to fabricate a couple myself please,more info would be very nice, could even do them for others if I get given the necessary components as the workshop is reasonably equipped,
bananaman

A_HRD

VOC Member
Or a batch of two? - assuming it would fit an A which is a tad shorter twixt top and bottom fork spindles…

Meanwhile, to get back to the original question (and thank you David for the dimensions of FT234 and FT236 under the spindle nuts); there are two other oddball washers/spacers on the Bramptons:-

FT224 under the horizontal damper knob. Presumably just another plain washer with a 3/8 ID and 5/8 OD?

FT235 x 2 which fit inside the ID of the two friction washers of the RH link assembly. 1/2 ID & 7/8 OD? Should they be thicker or thinner than the friction discs? Should they be hardened? What is their function?

I know this is boring minutiae to most people, but the latter could well have a significant safety connotation…

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
Sounds like you are a knowledgeable Bloke , how long have you been modifying the Vincent to make it better?

Max

from the wide open planes of Kansas

craig

VOC Member
Here is diagram to reference for washers -
MO30Brampton.jpg

john998

VOC Member
The coil over damper that Robert Watson used to supply is excellent, and fits without any cutting. It makes Bramptons more comfortable than Girdraulics, but still the better handling.
Best mod I ever did. John.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
The coil over damper that Robert Watson used to supply is excellent, and fits without any cutting. It makes Bramptons more comfortable than Girdraulics, but still the better handling.
Best mod I ever did. John.[/QUOTE

I take it Robert Watson no longer makes or supplies the coil over damper, but I suppose info would be useful if any of the kit can be purchased over the counter so as to speak, proprietary spring or damper?