FF: Forks Brampton Coil Over Shocks

Vincent Brake

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
i bought new forks to weld under the lamp steady a re-enforcement.
note this will be your weak spot when not stiffend!
this is one of the last work performance s.
bushes are fixed, so it pivots over the alu fork, hence the nip up of bolt
2017-12-16 17.54.12.jpg

Albervin

VOC Member
Vincent, the person who built my front end welded a plate on the lower link to reinforce it. I am not sure if it was necessary as the spring rate is only 130-140 lbs. That is a casting so if done properly the load share should be OK. My new Mike Breeding forks are heavier castings and tubes so no need for any reinforce . The bottom mount on my unit is double bushed to maintain good alignment. As I said, twenty years of riding. BUT always check your forks.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I see Vincent has made one of his usual elegant adaptations of a custom clevis for the bottom mount of a Works Performance shock. It eliminates the adapter to the spring seat I had to make since I used an off the shelf clevis. Due to the pitfalls of making things from scratch I like the Albervin’s idea of a batch build of a proven design. I have to credit Ted Leno, Robert Watson, and Dave Molloy, who pioneered some of the Works adaptation I use. Among the things I found that should be considered in a new design or if someone is doing this on your own are:

The throat depth of the bottom clevis has to be around 29 mm so it can clear the headlight mount tab when mounted at an angle. Less throat depth means that a notch must be cut in the back of the clevis. I reworked one of these Midwest Control clevises by redrilling the pin hole at that distance. It also required adapting the tapped hole in the clevis to 3/8-16. More on that later. One of their 24mm clevises could work by notching. They have deliveries from the UK and some of their stuff is on EBay.

The travel of the damper rod has to be limited so that the parts of the damper do not interfere with the Brampton parts. When Dave Molloy sold me the Works shock he machined a 1/2” rod spacer internally to limit the travel. It actually could have been a bit more, perhaps 3/4”. This keeps the good geometry of the Bramptons more like they are originally and out of the area where the lower link drops too far below horizontal at full extension. Removing the original Brampton spring and replacing it with a preloaded coil means that full extension could happen when the front end is unloaded, like cresting a hill, though the damper will slow the motion. The Brampton spring resisted extension since it was constrained at both ends.

Since the damper will pivot slightly, provision must be made for the headlamp stays to be isolated from this motion and allow free rotation. I moved the stays down to an extension of the balance beam mounting bolt and avoided this. It also had the advantage of lowering the headlamp shell and making more room for the damper motion and the light switch knob in the shell.

The stock Works damper rod has a 3/8-16 thread where the new bottom clevis must be mounted, turned down from it’s 1/2” diameter. I experienced a failure of the rod at this place as I have talked about elsewhere. I am making a new rod out of hardened and precision ground 17-4PH, (McMaster-Carr), which is much stronger than the original Works material, and I will be making the threaded end larger at 12mm or perhaps even 1/2-20.

As Robert Watson and others have mentioned, the headlamp mounting tab even on original Bramptons has proved itself to be strong enough for this use over quite a few years, lots of rough miles, and differing damper adaptations. The hook Vibrac shows may not be necessary, but I would feel better if something like that is part of the design as a belt and suspenders feature.

A 12 mm bolt works well for the top clevis in the upper spring mount, and makes it easy to find a suitable metric clevis. The clevis can be redrilled and tapped to use an FF70 which saves space and looks neater.

I found that a 120 pound spring was fine for my mostly solo and lightly loaded Rapide. I weigh 165 lbs. It might have to be a bit more for two up touring, though the preload adjustment helps here. The spring dimensions are about 2-3/8” diameter and 6-3/4” long. Larger diameters will make interference with the cycle parts a problem. Eye to eye length of the collapsed shock with bottom clevis fitted less spring and rubber bumper is about 7-3/4”. Extended length with the internal limiting spacer is 10”. This is plenty of travel and could be less as I mention above. It’s a good idea to test the shock travel out on the bike this way to make sure there is no interference or binding.

Albervin

VOC Member
I see Vincent has made one of his usual elegant adaptations of a custom clevis for the bottom mount of a Works Performance shock. It eliminates the adapter to the spring seat I had to make since I used an off the shelf clevis. Due to the pitfalls of making things from scratch I like the Albervin’s idea of a batch build of a proven design. I have to credit Ted Leno, Robert Watson, and Dave Molloy, who pioneered some of the Works adaptation I use. Among the things I found that should be considered in a new design or if someone is doing this on your own are:

The throat depth of the bottom clevis has to be around 29 mm so it can clear the headlight mount tab when mounted at an angle. Less throat depth means that a notch must be cut in the back of the clevis. I reworked one of these Midwest Control clevises by redrilling the pin hole at that distance. It also required adapting the tapped hole in the clevis to 3/8-16. More on that later. One of their 24mm clevises could work by notching. They have deliveries from the UK and some of their stuff is on EBay.

The travel of the damper rod has to be limited so that the parts of the damper do not interfere with the Brampton parts. When Dave Molloy sold me the Works shock he machined a 1/2” rod spacer internally to limit the travel. It actually could have been a bit more, perhaps 3/4”. This keeps the good geometry of the Bramptons more like they are originally and out of the area where the lower link drops too far below horizontal at full extension. Removing the original Brampton spring and replacing it with a preloaded coil means that full extension could happen when the front end is unloaded, like cresting a hill, though the damper will slow the motion. The Brampton spring resisted extension since it was constrained at both ends.

Since the damper will pivot slightly, provision must be made for the headlamp stays to be isolated from this motion and allow free rotation. I moved the stays down to an extension of the balance beam mounting bolt and avoided this. It also had the advantage of lowering the headlamp shell and making more room for the damper motion and the light switch knob in the shell.

The stock Works damper rod has a 3/8-16 thread where the new bottom clevis must be mounted, turned down from it’s 1/2” diameter. I experienced a failure of the rod at this place as I have talked about elsewhere. I am making a new rod out of hardened and precision ground 17-4PH, (McMaster-Carr), which is much stronger than the original Works material, and I will be making the threaded end larger at 12mm or perhaps even 1/2-20.

As Robert Watson and others have mentioned, the headlamp mounting tab even on original Bramptons has proved itself to be strong enough for this use over quite a few years, lots of rough miles, and differing damper adaptations. The hook Vibrac shows may not be necessary, but I would feel better if something like that is part of the design as a belt and suspenders feature.

A 12 mm bolt works well for the top clevis in the upper spring mount, and makes it easy to find a suitable metric clevis. The clevis can be redrilled and tapped to use an FF70 which saves space and looks neater.

I found that a 120 pound spring was fine for my mostly solo and lightly loaded Rapide. I weigh 165 lbs. It might have to be a bit more for two up touring, though the preload adjustment helps here. The spring dimensions are about 2-3/8” diameter and 6-3/4” long. Larger diameters will make interference with the cycle parts a problem. Eye to eye length of the collapsed shock with bottom clevis fitted less spring and rubber bumper is about 7-3/4”. Extended length with the internal limiting spacer is 10”. This is plenty of travel and could be less as I mention above. It’s a good idea to test the shock travel out on the bike this way to make sure there is no interference or binding.
Thanks for that I will take it all in and digest it. I have NEVER had the bottom link crash into the lower yoke. The clearance at the top of the spring is very small but never hinders movement. All the paint in those areas is undamaged after twenty years.

Albervin

VOC Member
I am still not clear how the bottom mount is achieved. On my coil over two plates pick up on the original coil screw and the headlight bracket for strength and that can all be reversed to standard.
View attachment 36085
My unit uses a stud to fasten the clevis at the base of the shock. Because I have an 8" headlight I have spacers either side of the clevis and then fit the headlight brackets. A bush through the clevis extends 1/32nd either side so the shock can move independently of the spacers and headlight bracket. I think. :cool:

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I am not surprised by the interest Alyn. Hans (Johnny) Edwards got involved with Works P after Carleton Palmer had them make one for his TTR. I followed on from that and had a dozen made, which had all sorts of lower mounting solutions but I think the Vibrac has is one of the originals. I then went back to Works to get another 25 made as (like now) many people expressed interest. I had the order pretty much finalized when I was looking at getting some different springs made to account for the range of bikes/people they were to be fitted to. It was then that it all went sideways and I got an email from them expressing that on advice from their lawyers they would not supply me any more as they were unsure of using the lower headlight lug to mount them, I did some calculations (I do have a degree in mechanical design) and assured them that they were well below working strength in this area. No was no, was no was no. Period. That was the end of it

Robert

oexing

VOC Member
I´d like to warn from using Clevis joints at both ends. You cannot know much about geometry and misalignments of a girder fork and its mounting points. There was a dramatic photo of a cracked damper rod at the step chrome rod/thread recently, no doubt induced by bending/side loads that you cannot prevent fully. So typically a damper got its metallastics/silent blocks in its ends for that reason - no clevis suitable. So we´d need a Brampton damper with spherical bush at top with its Clevis on the upper bolt. Plus another spherical bush at the bottom and some milled bracket Clevis type and bolted on the Brampton casting to accept the spheric bush - a bit like in Vibrac´s photo it seems to me. I am still not at this stage of restauration to send photos but food for thought I hope ??

Vic
spherical bearing bush