E: Engine Big End Replacement

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I agree 100% .......... One thing I do not like is having to pull something apart because I got it wrong the first time, and the bottom end of these engines is more particular than most might think, with side by side rods and four main bearings ........It pays to get it right.

This is for a Comet engine so it would only be half as painful. If it doesn't pan out, Robert can take a photo of me doing the walk of shame into the local machine shop.

Cyborg

VOC Member

Thanks, I saw those but wasn't sure I wanted to try something from India. It would take a month or so just to make its way through our customs. In the end I ordered an expanding mandrel of the appropriate size. Using a smaller one I have already, I figured out a simple way to adjust it and help prevent it from slipping on the taper. I'm only guessing, but I think that with my situation using a lapping tool will work better for dealing with any out of round. I took the one I have and ran a dial gauge along it to see if it was consistent and it seems fine. Hopefully the larger one will be as accurate. The working surface will be just under 5" in length, so it should survive for a while.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
So Tuning for speed says a piece of wood can make quite an effective lap for emergency use. Maybe Greg could mail me a chunk of iron wood?
Given this isn't an emergency. I'm thinking about one of these in the lathe. I would have to fabricate the adjustment part, but one can be had for around 100 USD delivered.

View attachment 17583
Hi CyborgMan, where did you found these? i have some but smaller, from a company in canada, (newman tools) adjustable brass, they are really a charm, with "green lable lapping compound" to lap even brass bushes, it shears very quick into smaller blunt particals (as the carborundum (SiC) grind may bedd into the brass, when not very extreem carefull)
cheers

Vincent

Cyborg

VOC Member
Adjustable brass? That sounds like a barrel lap. You manufacturing weapons on the side?

I found them on Ebay here http://stores.ebay.com/H-H-Industri...=expanding+mandrel&submit=Search&_sid=5484827

May I ask what you are going to use it for? If you are going to be using it a lot, there is a couple of different versions out there. There is a self expanding version. It looks the same only has a threaded end for adjusting. There is another with a spiral cut outer piece so it works better if you are lapping something with keyways etc. It doesn't have the threaded adjuster so works just like the one pictured above, but it is specifically made for lapping. I'm just in the process of contacting them for pricing etc as I need a larger version to do the Norton big end bearings. I'm guessing they will be a way more expensive, so perhaps not the way to go if only doing one or two bearings.

Viny4

VOC Member
I'm safe to say that I mentored John on Flywheel rebuilding. The the lap John is using is patterned from a Harley lap. In time past, you could buy oversized rollers and lap to fit for your Harley. The expanding sleeve on the Harley lap is too small, so you need to make an over sized one. I don't know if they are still available. The rod hole should be resize,oversized rod bearings ground to fit with .0025 inference,and pressed in square and central. The rod end sandwiched between to plates [for no distortion] and ground to -.0005 of finish size, then lapped to size using 280 grit lapping past. I have used finer paste but felt the life of the big end was shorter. Note- Most high precision roller bearings are lapped. If someone can tell me how to post a picture of one ,I will.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Charley Taylor had a story about lapping out a not-too-bad customer's big end and putting oversize rollers in, but that would have been in the '70's.