E: Engine Big End Replacement

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If you have a look at tuning for speed you will see a picture of the expanding hone
And it works ok made one used it on 16h

Pete
Always good to have someone come along and remind me about the days before the interwebs. Look in a damn book. Lots of good info in there. Thanks Pete.

Cyborg

VOC Member
So Tuning for speed says a piece of wood can make quite an effective lap for emergency use. Maybe Greg could mail me a chunk of iron wood?
Given this isn't an emergency. I'm thinking about one of these in the lathe. I would have to fabricate the adjustment part, but one can be had for around 100 USD delivered.

Expanding mandrel.jpg

Chris Launders

VOC Member
If you put "honing machine" into ebay there are a range of adjustable cylinder hones (not the ones with 3 stones on spring arms) that would be easily adaptable for use in a lathe, the 30mm-60mm one is £49.99, we use this type of hone on cylinders when doing rebores.
You could even buy a 2nd hand proper machine for a few hundred.
Chris

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
If you put "honing machine" into ebay there are a range of adjustable cylinder hones (not the ones with 3 stones on spring arms) that would be easily adaptable for use in a lathe, the 30mm-60mm one is £49.99, we use this type of hone on cylinders when doing rebores.
Chris
I have just found a Flap Wheel, That fits nice, Is that too much of bodge ?. Cheers Bill.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Chris

I spent a bit of time looking on Ebay for one of those rigid hones like the portable ones from Sunnen, but didn't find anything that made me want to pull the trigger. A couple of interesting old ones from other makers that looked small enough, but wasn't sure about getting replacement stones. Most were too large. Some from India and not sure about those. All the used machines on this side of the pond were lots of money or looked frightening. That's where I found the expanding mandrel. It will work for the Vincent (I think), but only goes to 2", so it won't work for the Nortons. I'll go back and have another look for a rigid one... you are correct about the adjustable one being the way to go.
Although, it wouldn't be that hard to machine an additional sleeve (with similar slots in it) to go over the existing expanding mandrel and make it large enough to do the Norton ones.
I do need to keep in mind that there are probably only 4 crankshafts between now and when I meet my maker. Life would be so much easier if I wasn't so cheap and burdened with phobias about sending work out..... I suppose there is an upside to that phobia.. it forced me to learn some interesting things.

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Bill even a brake cylinder hone is better than a flap wheel
In extremis in the paddock I have used it on small ends and with copious cleaning it worked...

clevtrev

VOC Member
So Tuning for speed says a piece of wood can make quite an effective lap for emergency use. Maybe Greg could mail me a chunk of iron wood?
Given this isn't an emergency. I'm thinking about one of these in the lathe. I would have to fabricate the adjustment part, but one can be had for around 100 USD delivered.

View attachment 17583
No No No. They`re meant for putting into an existing bore, tapping to hold by expansion, and then turning or grinding the outside diameter. Then only LIGHT cuts. If you really want to bodge, get a piece of nylon tuned up and use different size grits to get a better fit. But beware it can grab.