Back at the shadow - Hint to motor failure

Ducdude

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Without a shadow of doubt make an inspection hole above the sludge trap at the rear of the UFM, you could well be amazed ..Cheers len.c

Thanks Len!

Perhaps one day I will go this route but not now....I just spent 2 days flushing heated solvent in and out the tank and agitating it and inspecting the floe for bits in the bucket...Once the flow was 100% clear then I was down to counting grains of grit till there were none.. There very well may still be bits in there but they are then locked to the tank and will not flow up to the drain and out though the screen and to the filter... Really I was counting grains of sand......

Now I have to coat the tank with oil to try and slow down the rusting..

This is clean enough for me...For now..

Thanks,
Eric..

Albervin

VOC Member
While I understand some people wanting to make their oil tanks suitable for surgical procedures I cannot see how you can justify cutting a hole in the UFM. If a thorough cleanse with solvent and physical agitators (ball bearings, nuts, old cuff links etc) doesn't shift what is there then surely it is going to remain in situ with just a flow of non detergent oil passing over? Regular filter changes (with or without microscopic inspection and/or autopsy) should be sufficient in most cases. As Eric has discovered with the first flush that there was foreign matter (whether from an alien life force or vandal {a most abused tribe in my opinion}) and subsequently obtained an apparently debris free result I think he would be justified in holding off from cutting a hole. As usual my opinions are open to comment, ridicule and counterpoint. Now, Eric, I can suggest a few other additions to your garage; a set of artery clamps, a dental mirror, dental picks, assorted syringes (5 ml to 250 ml) and a couple of measuring cylinders or burettes.

Last edited:

Ducdude

VOC Member
Now, Eric, I can suggest a few other additions to your garage; a set of artery clamps, a dental mirror, dental picks, assorted syringes (5 ml to 250 ml) and a couple of measuring cylinders or burettes.QUOTE]

It should not surprise you that I do indeed have, 3 hemostats, various mirrors, a dozen dental picks, and syringes up to 500cc..Very handy kit..

Cheers,
Eric

jim burgess

VOC Member
I once bought a well rebuilt bottom end that turned out to be contaminated with blasting grit, the source? A resparayed fuel tank which had been blasted and then inverted over the bottom end, thus allowing grit to fall down into it, clumsy workshop practice, by the previous owner. The source did not become known until I had the tank running on a machiune, at this stage the remaining grit found its way down into the carb filters and shut off the fuel flow.. Ho Hum...

clevtrev

VOC Member
While I understand some people wanting to make their oil tanks suitable for surgical procedures I cannot see how you can justify cutting a hole in the UFM. If a thorough cleanse with solvent and physical agitators (ball bearings, nuts, old cuff links etc) doesn't shift what is there then surely it is going to remain in situ with just a flow of non detergent oil passing over? Regular filter changes (with or without microscopic inspection and/or autopsy) should be sufficient in most cases. As Eric has discovered with the first flush that there was foreign matter (whether from an alien life force or vandal {a most abused tribe in my opinion}) and subsequently obtained an apparently debris free result I think he would be justified in holing off from cutting a hole. As usual my opinions are open to comment, ridicule and counterpoint. Now, Eric, I can suggest a few other additions to your garage; a set of artery clamps, a dental mirror, dental picks, assorted syringes (5 ml to 250 ml) and a couple of measuring cylinders or burettes.
You pays your money and you take your pick.

vibrac

VOC Member
My Money is on it being an early Paris Dakar attempt machine
get a geologist to analyse the sand quick
I can see it in an Auction sale now... Vincent Sahara Survivor found

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Without wishing to upset Vibrac, this subject has been covered before where I said that the outlet hole for the oil feed is situated some 3/8 inch above the tank floor and is displaced across the tank, so I cannot see how swilling the tank out can
Drain completely unless a powerfully suction pump is used to evacuate the contents. Even then an endoscope would be an
Asset if an inspection aperature is not employed. However you lot can carry on doing things your way as I know my way worked for me. ET43

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Without wishing to upset Vibrac, this subject has been covered before where I said that the outlet hole for the oil feed is situated some 3/8 inch above the tank floor and is displaced across the tank, so I cannot see how swilling the tank out can
Drain completely unless a powerfully suction pump is used to evacuate the contents. Even then an endoscope would be an
Asset if an inspection aperature is not employed. However you lot can carry on doing things your way as I know my way worked for me. ET43

I copied ET43's inspection aperture (something no one will ever see unless they remove the fuel tank) and was very thankful that I did, I found stuff in there that you wouldn't find on the ground in a 50 year old wrecking yard (I think you guys call them breakers yards) I flushed the tank with a high pressure spray after several runs with a quality degreaser etc and still had to scrape a lot of crap off the bottom of the UFM, after spending a lot of time and money on rebuilding this machine I was not about to do the equivalent of fitting a second hand filthy oil filter.
Thanks Phil
Kevin

van drenth

VOC Member
Mine friend, you will never get it out anymore, strip the complete engine and start cleaning, washing all components and special the oil gallery and the return passages to the oil pomp. Good Luck.
Most probally the previous owner has glas blasted the crankcases.
Regards, van Drenth JC