Back at the shadow - Hint to motor failure

Ducdude

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I realise you are resisting cutting a hole in the u f m. Check-out conway's manhole conversion, it is a well known part accepted by most vincenteers.

You do not understand I still have cold sweats over the holes I had to drill in the tag plate to hold a US licence tag over the UK numbers...

I am sure the manholes work Just not on my bike....

Thanks though...Once cut it can never be uncut..

Eric

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
possibly drawn inthrough the crankcase breather. Two tanks that I have cleaned out contained a larg quantity of sand, both tanks have been in my possession since the mid sixtys and have never been sand blasted. I also beleave that Phil Primmer found the same thing on his upper frame member.

Ducdude

VOC Member
Hmmmm wow thanks! So, it gets sucked in via the breather into the timing case circulated in the oil and takes up residence in to oil tank and cannot get out of the tank and so never has to go though the filter... I think it would take a lot of dusty miles to collect any significant amount, in this manner, correct? It is a quite fine grit so it is possible. I would think this would happen to just about any vin with a stock breather location, which mine had BTW..

Thanks this idea is better than a angry mod messing with a Rocker's the bike at the Ace Cafe one night in the 60's..

Cheers,
Eric

bmetcalf

VOC Member
If the timed breather is closed when the pistons are rising, I am not sure how the hose would suck in air or sand?

Bracker1

VOC Member
The most logical answer for getting that amount of sand/mud in something that has been sitting around would be from the infamous mud dauber wasp. In your region their are multiple species that build elaborate mud nests in protected areas. At some point the oil tank or engine had an opening for the wasp to build their nest. Durable and strong, the nest probably fell apart from the vibration. They live on spiders, so dark garages and sheds are common nesting areas. I have more totally useless info in my head. Dan

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
hi,
we dont have mud dauber wasps here in the U.K.

How ever many years ago when I was a young sprog in the R.A.F. I was one evening visiting some friends in York on my mighty B.S,A c11g When as I was just about to depart for base I noticed that some kind soul had filled my oil tank to the top with dirt. I was not very pleased at having to do an oil change in the middle of york at 23.00hrs. Whats this got to do with grit in you oil tanks, nothing at all, just a example of tricks idiots get up to.
cheerts stumpy.

vincenttwin

VOC Member
Eric

When my brother in law used to run Conways , I saw him do the manhole insert a few times , most of the UFM'S had been cleaned before , and they still had lots of build up of sticky oil and bits of metal in the rear
corners when you looked in the hole. I had it done on my B UFM when I rebuild it.The tank had had solvent in it for a few days and ball bearing to rattle around it still had bits of metal and trash embedded in
hard burnt oil in the corners only seen after cutting the hole , it seems to settle towards the rear of the tank.. so I think I would go ahead and do it.heres the link I think if you have an good welder you could put it in your self, its hidden under the fuel tank.

http://www.conway-motors.co.uk/manhole.html

cheers

Peter

Ducdude

VOC Member
The most logical answer for getting that amount of sand/mud in something that has been sitting around would be from the infamous mud dauber wasp. In your region their are multiple species that build elaborate mud nests in protected areas. At some point the oil tank or engine had an opening for the wasp to build their nest. Durable and strong, the nest probably fell apart from the vibration. They live on spiders, so dark garages and sheds are common nesting areas. I have more totally useless info in my head. Dan

I would buy that theory BUT the sand is mostly slate and quartz not mud or dirt so it does not pack well with bee saliva to make a house...but WTH do I know..:) Hell it could happen..

Thanks!

Eric

Eric

len.c

Non-VOC Member
Without a shadow of doubt make an inspection hole above the sludge trap at the rear of the UFM, you could well be amazed .When I did my Comet it had been lying idle since 1963,and during this time some mothers little angel decided it would be good fun to fill the petrol tank with all kinds of nastiness , luckily for reasons known only to the morons they never touched the oil tank, But I was not prepared to risk it, so I cut a round hole in the correct place and literally dug out a load of sludge which no amount fof swilling out would have shifted,when it was clean a suitable cover was Tig welded in place (PURFICT)The hole was made with a proper hole cutting tool.Cheers len.c

ET43

Non-VOC Member
I made my own aperature in the UFM which allowed sight of both ends of the tank and which allowed access to the main
Feed outlet. The hole was sealed with a plate which has never moved or leaked despite being on a well thrashed outfit.Send for a diagram on philprimmer@btinternet. I believe that sand gets in because some fool put it there, or it was done during
Sandblasting where masking of the neck was not done properly. This mod can only be seen when the tank is off. ET43