H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Are These Standard or Racing Drum Brakes?

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
As far as I know they were made by Ted Davis [Davies?]
I have a set as well, the rear ones are okay, the front ones are pretty useless. Not so single hole is drilled perpendicular to the plane, nor are the hole centres at the same distances on the plates.

It is difficult to identify the plates because the supply was so inconsistent. When Maughan could not supply rear plates and could not give a date when new rear plates would be available, I bought the single plate and had it copied. My copies could easily be mistaken for Maughan plates. Slater or Ted Davis could have done the same when making their plates.

I am somewhat amazed that the plates could be improperly machined. When I machined my plates the axle hole seemed to be the only obvious place to start. I was amazed at how simple the machining was. All the holes are equidistant from the center. The heights on both sides are indexed to the facing of the axle hole also. A short session on the mill will finish them off and the holes can be bored properly. I am not sure how you could do the machining without a finished axle hole?

David

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Wasn’t there a batch of large idlers in the ‘70’s with an eccentric center hole; how do you do that? That would challenge Dan Smith!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
You should have seen Ron, With the biggest Round File I have ever seen,
Opening out some steel front Brake Plate Centre holes ,
To change a Brake that thought it was a Clutch !,
It made so much difference.