H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Are These Standard or Racing Drum Brakes?

Eddie Foreman

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi all,

Finally down to the last couple of jobs before getting the twin back on the road. Turning my attention to the wheels to check brakes etc... Have a new set of tyres and inner tubes as the current ones are 30 plus years old so definitely need to be replaced.

The rear wheel appears to have a standard drum but not sure about the front wheel. Looking at the spare parts list the front might be a racing drum. Not sure so thought I'd check with you knowledgeable folk.

Thanks for your help, Eddie

Front: WM-1-21-Record

front.jpg

Rear: Borrani - 19x 2 1/2 -Record

rear.jpg

litnman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I don't know of any racing brake drums, but the brake plates appear to be Elektron.
I wouldn't suggest using them. Spares has the same now made of aluminum, much safer.

timetraveller

VOC Member
You refer to drums but the above reply concerns the brake plates. You show a standard Rapide or Comet rear drum. The front drum shown could be from a Shadow or a racing bike. Both front and rear brake plates look as they are the Electron ones, referred to above which were intended for racing use but many of us
used them on the road. Electron can deteriorate badly and if the brake plates have been stored in damp conditions they are probably scrap. If they look ok then try hitting them gently with a hammer. Unless they seem very solid, and they could be, then do not use them. Sorry, doing this on a phone and my fingers are bigger than the letters.

Eddie Foreman

Active Forum User
VOC Member
They look like the magnesium racing plates. There is some controversy about using them.
I don't know of any racing brake drums, but the brake plates appear to be Elektron.
I wouldn't suggest using them. Spares has the same now

Thanks for your replies. Could I ask why you wouldn't use them or what the controversy is? Is it down to the age of the plates and possible corrosion?

Eddie Foreman

Active Forum User
VOC Member
You refer to drums but the above reply concerns the brake plates. You show a standard Rapide or Comet rear drum. The front drum shown could be from a Shadow or a racing bike. Both front and rear brake plates look as they are the Electron ones, referred to above which were intended for racing use but many of us
used them on the road. Electron can deteriorate badly and if the brake plates have been stored in damp conditions they are probably scrap. If they look ok then try hitting them gently with a hammer. Unless they seem very solid, and they could be, then do not use them. Sorry, doing this on a phone and my fingers are bigger than the letters.
Hi timetraveller, appreciate the response thank you. Will remove the plates and do what you suggested. Are the drums cast iron? Not sure of the condition of the braking faces yet but would assume that they would otherwise be okay to use and it just the Electron plates that would need replacing.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Yes, Electron is a magnesium alloy and prone to corrosion. Hence the remark about whether they could have been stored somewhere damp. I have several sets. One which was used on the rear of an enclosed D can be crombled with ones fingers. Some others which have been stored carefully seem solid and could be used. The finned drums are probably cast iron. The rear drums could be pressed steel and will not give as good braking as the cast iron ones.

vibrac

VOC Member
Aluminium copies of the original brake plates started being made in the early sixties I know I bought a set of the first ones Roger Slater made in UK and I guess he was not the only exponent.
I could not honestly tell from a photo if they were electron.
some were one piece but I think the ones I had were with detachable scoops like the original

Eddie Foreman

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Aluminium copies of the original brake plates started being made in the early sixties I know I bought a set of the first ones Roger Slater made in UK and I guess he was not the only exponent.
I could not honestly tell from a photo if they were electron.
some were one piece but I think the ones I had were with detachable scoops like the original
I'll get the plates removed and see if there's any markings. Would aluminium plates feel very different to the electron ones? Or a simple test?