AMANDA film on YOUTUBE

Diogenes

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Miked raises an interesting point. Are these Mk2 Amandas? If you watch the film carefully you can see the cylindrical fuel tank which looks like those fitted to the Vincent 2-stroke engines. Also the handlebar arrangement and lifting handles on the hull are very similar. Far more attractive riders, by the way!
The late Alan Rennie related that during his time at the Works, people with truck driving experience were sought. Alan had had some and soon found himself shuttling between Stevenage and North Wales where Vincent's had established a facility to produce the fibreglass hulls. These were brought down to Stevenage to have the mechanical bits installed. He said that in the winter that journey was purgatory as the truck had no power steering, a crash gearbox and no cab heater.

"and North Wales where Vincent's had established a facility to produce the fibreglass hulls."

Thanks Len but that sounds possibly a bit misleading to me.
It appears in most references that the "fibreglass hulls" were made by a separate supplier, supposedly expert in their craft [no pun intended].
Pages 215 - 218 of Roy Harper's 'THE VINCENT H.R.D. STORY' give the sad details.
PCV is quoted as referring to the Llanwrog site, where the hulls were made by the sub-contractor.
Vincents used buildings on the same site to assemble the already made hulls.
Then, as you wrote, they were transported to Stevenage.

But the sub-contractor used a cheaper resin with a too-low heat distortion temperature rating, hence the collapse in hot conditions.
PCV did not accept any responsibility for this, though he should really have used an inspection service to ensure contractor compliance with specifications, particularly after the earlier troubles with Series D fibreglass enclosures.
It always seemed odd to have an air cooled engine inside an almost closed plastic box.
Asking for trouble?

Thanks for ensuring that I read that Roy Harper book again.
Page 216 does state that the demonstration run for a "would-be agent" did indeed take place at Ruislip Lido in late Summer 1957.
Page 215 states that the Amanda water scooter design was "prepared in London based on successful continental designs."

So I wonder if the water scooters in the Pathé film clip were from the Continent?
They look similar to but not exactly like the Vincent Amanda.
I wonder if they also failed in hot weather?