AMANDA film on YOUTUBE

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Diogenes, I think it was Ruislip Lido, West London, I nearly drowned at the end of that pier !! Cheers Bill.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Hello Diogenes, I think it was Ruislip Lido, West London, I nearly drowned at the end of that pier !! Cheers Bill.
I tried the Huntley Archive to see if they had any further information about the film. All it mentions is that quote: the Amanda was made by Vincents-more famous for their motorcycles and suggested the venue was Cumbria. That's a long way from Stevenage so Bill is probably right.

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
Vincents were always ahead of the game - but I notice at the end someone struggling to start the engine of one - maybe a Lucas magneto !!??

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Definitely Ruislip Lido. There is a doubledecker London Transport RT Bus parked outside. It was the terminus of the route. I travelled on it many times as a child though I forget the Number. Lido was a bit of a misnomer although you could in fact swim in it in those days. It even had a beach. It still has. It was more of an all purpose pleasure lake with a steam narrow gauge railway running around the edge, which is still operative. Originally it was created as a feeder reservoir for the Grand Union Canal.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
If they'd have gouged that Lovely Jaguar with that plastic piece of crap, I think I'd of jumped through the screen and drowned them both!:cool:
Cheers, John

Diogenes

Non-VOC Member
AMANDA film on YOUTUBE
Thanks for the neat replies defining location.
Now for the second part of the query:
"And identify any of the people involved?"

I would guess that some of the old timers who worked at Stevenage could tell us, if only someone could put the question to them.
For example,
http://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/showthread.php?3840-Jack-Lazenby&highlight=
" I did visit Ted Davis ex sec. she still has a good memory and has put a lot of names to pictures that I have which I have passed on to Bob Culver. the lady seating on the vincent in your MPH may 2011 issue page 23 is Yvonne Leach she lives next door to Joan Scott. we all put our good life down to Mrs. Legget tea she run the vincent canteen, "

Surely it is long overdue for as much Works-related info as possible be gathered from the few survivors before it is too late?
And then shared rather than hoarded.

len.c

Non-VOC Member
What a great little film,can you imagine the same situation today.no rescue boat ,one lifejacket, no ambulance standing by ,no goggles ,no highviz vests, no helmets with flashing amber lights on top ,Elfin Safety who needs it. T.I.C.
len.c