AMANDA film on YOUTUBE

raygray

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi
Bob Culver has an Amanda and has lots of history on factory matters but I dont think he looks at the forum.
Will ask him when I next see him.

Ray

Ducdude

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Any one else think that the speed of the film has been increased? That sail boat seems to be moving pretty fast?

Cheers,
Eric

timetraveller

VOC Member
Its not just the sail boat. The couple carrying the Amanda to the water just after the start of the film look to be walking very quickly. If we have any film experts amongst us I exect that they could tell us what is likely to have happened but my guess is that the original film would have been shot at (say) 25 frames per second and now be being played back at (say) 30 frames per second. Anyone out there know about this kind of thing?

Howard

VOC Member
Its not just the sail boat. The couple carrying the Amanda to the water just after the start of the film look to be walking very quickly. If we have any film experts amongst us I exect that they could tell us what is likely to have happened but my guess is that the original film would have been shot at (say) 25 frames per second and now be being played back at (say) 30 frames per second. Anyone out there know about this kind of thing?

That's why Charlie Chaplin used to walk funny - they seem to have corrected it on TV these days - He's not as funny without the John Cleese walk. :)

H

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Miked raises an interesting point. Are these Mk2 Amandas? If you watch the film carefully you can see the cylindrical fuel tank which looks like those fitted to the Vincent 2-stroke engines. Also the handlebar arrangement and lifting handles on the hull are very similar. Far more attractive riders, by the way!
The late Alan Rennie related that during his time at the Works, people with truck driving experience were sought. Alan had had some and soon found himself shuttling between Stevenage and North Wales where Vincent's had established a facility to produce the fibreglass hulls. These were brought down to Stevenage to have the mechanical bits installed. He said that in the winter that journey was purgatory as the truck had no power steering, a crash gearbox and no cab heater.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Does anyone know how many Amandas were made?

Pete

I don't know how many were made but in 1959 Ted Davis was selling off new twin cylinder Amanda engines as inboard marine engines through 'Exchange and Mart' . As an innocent boy of 14 I bought one from Ted at Cromer Mill, Herts where he was living at the time. This was long before I knew anything about Vincent Motorcycles. The engine was minus the stern tube comprising of the screw, prop shaft & housing and clutch drum for the centrifugal clutch. The clutch shoes were fitted to the engine main shaft. Ted assured me it would be easy to pick up a stern tube to fit my boat. In fact only the original stern tube would fit and that was unobtainable.

ET43

Non-VOC Member
I was once given a brand new stern tube and associated bits, can't remember who from, and gave it to a club member who sadly has recently passed away. I think that the chap was going to attempt to fit it to an LE engine. It may come up for sale when the widow decides to clear out the garage. This was in the days when profit did not come into the equasion. Happy7 Days, ET43

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
I was once given a brand new stern tube and associated bits, can't remember who from, and gave it to a club member who sadly has recently passed away. I think that the chap was going to attempt to fit it to an LE engine. It may come up for sale when the widow decides to clear out the garage. This was in the days when profit did not come into the equasion. Happy7 Days, ET43

Damn! Just missed it by 40 years. I no longer have the engine. I don't remember what happened to it.

Hugo