Misc: Charging Systems Alternators

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Electronics don´t live forever - anywhere. So yes, even a Podtronic may develop a defect.

Vic

SteveO

VOC Member
OK guys, I just (somewhat belatedly) tried the bulb test. Two wires so connected between them, its an old rear light/brake light bulb. Glowed at tickover, as revs rose got brighter and brighter. Decided to throttle back rather than blow it - so plenty of power output there I believe. So it must be the regulator, despite being brand new? Could it be anything else? Ammeter shows discharge with lights on, so presumably not that.

erik

VOC Member
You can connect the ammeter the wrong way and then you see discharge when the generator is charging! Erik

LoneStar

VOC Member
Some electronic regulators require a battery in circuit; testing without one will show no output even with a working dynamo.

SteveO

VOC Member
You can connect the ammeter the wrong way and then you see discharge when the generator is charging! Erik
Nope, I don't think it's that Erik. Just rode it home from the club with lights on, showed clear discharge. Should have more than balanced at speed I was doing.

SteveO

VOC Member
One of the guys at the club said he'd had this with 5 regulators he'd bought from the same source. He said the fix is that there needs to be power to "prime" the regulator, so to charge battery up fully then take it for a ride. He said the system will suddenly wake up and charge. If not the regulator is u/s.

SteveO

VOC Member
Back again. After a long and involved testing routine with loads of red herrings I believe I have identified the problem. It is the Alton. The Podtronics was sent to Al Osborn of Norton fame for testing and passed as perfect. This left me back to square one. I retested the Alton using Al's advice, with the bulb. I got a bright bulb between the output wires, but I also got a glow between a wire and earth. This shouldn't happen, it implies the Alton is earthing somewhere. Tests off the bike showed continuity between the wires and straight to earth also, so the stator (virtually new) is dead. Stripping the unit shows evidence of contact on the rotor and one of the support bearings is loose in the case, the other is tight is the case, but evidence of looseness. My conclusion is the whole thing is duff; the rotor is still magnetic, but I wonder if the contact was what unscrewed the central screw? The Case itself may be worn, so there's no point in fitting new bearings. I believe it's possible that all the damage is due to the rotor wobbling in the bearings (clearance between rotor and stator is quite tight. Seeing as the oldest this version of Alton can be is 2009 and the bike hasn't done a huge mileage, does it make sense to fit another (£445 + postage) or pursue a cheaper option? Photos of the innards of the Alton enclosed.

Attachments

• 20230830_121749.jpg
    20230830_121749.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230830_121754.jpg
    20230830_121754.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230830_121804.jpg
    20230830_121804.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230830_121832.jpg
    20230830_121832.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230830_121836.jpg
    20230830_121836.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230830_121856.jpg
    20230830_121856.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230830_121942.jpg
    20230830_121942.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 16

vibrac

VOC Member
I have yet to hear of anything better than an Alton, its certainly not perfect but most of the alternative are not either, or need workshop time to fit and then look out of place on a Vincent.
Its not unlike the migration in the sixties from Miller to Lucas the Lucas was better but still had faults but was soon dethroned when an Alton came along.
Most Vincent owners (and Velocette) who use their bikes seem to move to Alton
think its best to stump up:( buy a new Alton and its matching regulator

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
My preference is for the Nippon Denso alternator that Norman Walker uses for his "Walkernator" conversion, but it does of course deviate from the standard appearance of the Miller, Lucas, Alton.
It is a great shame that the Nippon Denso cannot be made to fit into the standard position, because it is truly a fit and forget unit in terms of reliability and performance, with its built in regulator, it is excellent.
I am not talking about the Nippon Denso unit used with the McDougalator, which is an ok unit, but not as good as the larger unit, both are used on Kubota machinery.