I don't have a clue :) .

Attachments

• IMG_20220918_094204 (2).jpg
    IMG_20220918_094204 (2).jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 40

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
the newer Altons have no gears in it, they are directly driven and you feel the magnets as Vic said.Erik

Last edited by a moderator:

oexing

VOC Member
Bill, my guess, the small Kubota is a AC alternator. Single phase permanent magnet and a regulator required to connect it for 14 V and DC then ?

Vic

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks, Yes Vic , Just playing, Wanted to get something to check if worked,
Was given it by our Welsh Forum member, Top Man !.

Thought I would get D.C. Volts,
But wrong, Only when meter on A.C, = 33v
Must get a Regulator.

I think it's the same as used in my McDougleator from USA,
On my ex L/ning.
I needed to HELP the Motor to get going !, To over come the magnets.
Lots of FUN.

Last edited:

SteveO

VOC Member
Back again. I contacted Alton directly and we agreed that the issue was the stator. A new stator (£150 with postage) fixed the charging system - for a whole week, then the screw holding the drive gear to the alternator shaft came loose and fell into the primary case! It jammed near the front and wrecked the centre row of the primary chain and the plastic drive cog, fortunately without damaging the cases or the front engine sprocket. So new primary chain (£110), drive cog and screw, well locked in. Now back to where we were before. My meter only has a 10V and 50V AC scale, but as far as I can tell the output direct from the Alton to earth is between 10 and 20V (it's way over 10 when I rev the engine, so would wreck the meter on 10V scale), which should be fine. But struggles to reach 5V DC from the Podtronic regulator to earth. I have replaced the Podtronics unit with a new one, but same result. The Podtronics is supposed to be the right one for Vincent/Alton combination. It's like it is over-regulated. Could it be a faulty earth? The black lead from the Podtronics unit is firmly attached to the earthing point on the oil tank/UFM and the bike is negative earth, so these two factors are standard to the wiring diagram. Is the Alton single phase - it only has two wires? Could the problem be I'm using a three phase regulator with single phase alternator?

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
First thing is to split things up and eliminate them. The Alton output shouldn't be connected to earth. For reasons that we needn't go into (RMS) an AC voltmeter on the output of the Alton will tell you very little. I would disconnect the regulator and connect a 12V bulb between the two wires from the Alton (a 21W brake light one would be ideal). Start the engine and run it at a little above tickover. The bulb should light brightly, and could even blow. Don't run it for long because the Alton will overheat if left unregulated.

Once you report back that the Alton is capable of producing 'power that you can see' it is time to start looking at the regulator and wiring. A three phase regulator is fine with a single phase alternator. Let us know if we need to look further.

SteveO

VOC Member
Pete, I've tried the meter across the output wires from the Alton before I read your reply and got 20V AC, so although I've not tried a bulb, it seems pretty clear there is good output from the Alton. The Alton isn't connected to earth. The Podtronics unit is, via the oil tank earth location.

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
To have a useful output the alternator needs power - which is Watts - which is Volts x Amps. From this you can see that you could have all the Volts in the world but if multiplied by no Amps you get no power. A circuit with a 99% busted wire can provide plenty of Voltage to operate your high impedance meter but will do nothing useful when you try to demand power. The load test is the only meaningful way of eliminating the alternator from the equation.

Earth the Podtronics where you like, so long as it is the same place as the battery.

oexing

VOC Member
Do the power test on each wire that comes out the Alton, two or three wires type. Get a bulb , 12V and maybe 20w or so. That should light up when hooked onto each wire. With only two wires - simple, no earth connected certainly. With three wire type try all combinations with the bulb, any two wires must produce power for the bulb. Only then with power on these wires you deal witrh the Podtronic if you get no correct voltage ( DC ) and power through it.

Vic

vibrac

VOC Member
I have only ever used the regulator supplied with the alton and they have always been OK especially the last few years when you no longer have to isolate the battery when not in use
So whats all this podtronics stuff?