H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Alloy brake plate dimensions Help….

Michael Vane-Hunt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Ken.
My primitive measuring skills make the OD 2 1/8
ID hole 1 1/4
The flange that enters the hub is 1/8 thick
Total thickness is 1/4.

I am fairly certain this H55 has never been used and the fit into the hub is tight. This may be to prevent the bearings and shims falling out like they do if you use the normal bearings and nilos seals.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I was on there ordering parts a few days ago.

I grabbed the two steel plates I have with the idea of jotting down some measurements. Then comparing what I find to a drawing I have for some other locally made plates which are different than mine. Without even getting out the the measuring instruments, I can see a difference between the two plates. One is an original speedo side plate and the other is a new ordinary plate ( no speedo hole) from VOC Spares. The bosses for the shoe pivots are at different heights.
I was told the VOC Spares plates are made from the original stamping die, but not sure about the shoe pivots that are installed ( riveted?) in them.

So… now the question is, should they be different? Is the one with the speedo hole supposed to have higher bosses than the rest? I need to clean the paint off the new one and measure the boss for the cam. If it’s not higher by the same amount as the pivot, then the shoes would end up being cockeyed. Think I’m just going to $h@#can the whole drawing thing and figure out the measurements as I assemble everything. Just drill the holes, dry fit everything and shave the bosses down until the shoes are centred ( depth wise) in the drum. Might take a few goes. I don’t think there needs to be a difference in the speedo plate unless I’m missing something. There should be a difference between the pivot and cam bosses. The cam boss needs to be lower by the thickness of the flange on the end of the cam in order to keep the shoes parallel.

View attachment 46275
I am still in bed !, When I get up I will have a look,
Like you , I don't think they should be different ?.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
This is FUN, This is why I was only a mechanic !.
The "outside" of the ALLOY plate, The speedo boss is the same height, as the other bosses,
When you think about it , It was the same on Steel !,
It does not matter really, Because you have the screw adjustment on the speedo drive ?,
Within reason !! ?.

I have checked the two types of 1950 steel plates, One with speedo hole and one without,
And as we thought , The pivot boss for the shoes is the same,
I think it's 1/4", On the inside, But I find it's nearer 6 mm !!, But I don't think they did that in 1950 ?.
Once again there is slop from the split pin in the groove, And on the "A"s I think they used a screw ?,
So it does not have to be spot on, Allowing for paint etc, You can see that mine have been treated bad !,
Not me !!.
Funny when looking from above, Even I can see they are on the Piss !!,

The tricky bit is the height of the other end, The cam pivot !!,
I make it 5/32" On a STEEL plate, Vincents like these settings ??, But I am a feet and inches man !.

What ever, A 10 thou or so, Shim on the bearings outside between the bearing and the plate,
Can sort a lot out ?.
All The Best, Bill.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Progress has been slowed down to a snails pace. Carving turkey instead of brake plates. The rear seem a little trickier. Still needs to be turned down a bit more to clear the sprocket bolts. Please excuse the chatter marks. Like a vinyl record of the 1812 overture, but it sounded a lot worse.
While I’m here, hope everyone has a good Christmas and thanks for all your help.

71CCE89C-5D12-4AF5-B845-244AC0C65A82.jpeg
A0B2A13E-2FFE-46BA-B39D-C8AEEFB23841.gif

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
Thank you for the photo litnman.

Not that it’s all that important for my situation, but…. I assume the bevel on the inner edge of the plate is at the same angle as the bevel in the outer edge of the drum. I think it’s close to 60 degrees and that’s the number I used. Heaven forbid I actually get caught in the rain.
I see you snuck a side stand on there. I have one off a VF800 that should bolt onto the FT106/2. Don’t recall if I mentioned elsewhere that I have ticked off all the part numbers that I need on drawing M062 (Racing gear-change linkage and brake pedal). That was actually a fun project.
This was not….
DE2416CA-03CA-4568-9FA9-CA302A15BBA8.jpeg

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
I still have a bunch of material that has to be removed in various places, but stalled at the moment because I need a brake cam before I go any deeper.
I do have a second rear plate if I beaver this one up.

10B9E157-CD8D-4625-BD77-3EA5F2947BA2.jpeg