PR: Proprietary Items Acewell speedometers

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hmmm, only two wires. Most of these buggers have three wires. So one wire broken - or if internal earth installed, you´d need a better earth contact at the bike ?? Just thinking , no idea really . . . .

Vic

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Does anyone have any experience of Acewell speedometers? this was set up a year ago on my Egli Comet when I rebuilt it. I have not had a good speedometer reading it seems mostly to just show 1 or 2 MPH and I know I am not that slow! I have checked the pickup and the magnets and the distances between which are correct) and when I started to run the engine in around the local roads I kept trying to find a cause but then I just gave up. I have just got round to checking everything out as the bike has sat in my garage for a year and I am thinking of selling it at auction and 18 miles is hardly an accurate measure to quote! Putting it on the lift I noticed that the lead from the sensor is long (I suppose for rear wheel applications) and I had coiled it round behind the headlamp in a lazy 7" or 8* diameter coil (aprox two turns) would that have caused my problem? all the other applicable functions, winkers etc work OK and I have the same type of unit on my trail bike and that works OK

View attachment 36789
View attachment 36790
Have you followed the install guide - taken from the acewell site?

Screen Shot 08-20-20 at 05.25 PM.JPG

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Two wires = a reed switch, how boring. I am far less confident now.

How about programming? Did you set the wheel size?

vibrac

VOC Member
I actually measured it out on the path with chalk when I set it up. the suns out today so I have unraveled the coil of wire and for the moment draped it round the headlamp and reversed the magnet the spacing is about 3mm it is a new acewell system and I doubt I have done 50 miles on the bike since rebuild
The Bike has not been started for a year so some preparatory work will be required....

vibrac

VOC Member
Well I get constant readings now except its about a factor of about ten out I only went to about 4mph :rolleyes: as I am still running in. I will check my settings as they are metric I suppose I could have done a USA mars shot and got the decimal point wrong. everything else looks good on the display rev counter winkers etc.
If the settings check out then if its a proximity switch I suppose if I put a continuity test on the two wires it should register with a magnet pass?
Its more comfortable than I remember but oh! that Goldie silencer so loud time for a mute in the end I think.
1597935901330.jpeg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Funny just seen a road test on a New Harley , With a very neat one built into the handle bar clamp.
Missenden flyer Youtube. I used to ride a lot round there when I lived in West London.