PR: Proprietary Items Acewell speedometers

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anyone have any experience of Acewell speedometers? this was set up a year ago on my Egli Comet when I rebuilt it. I have not had a good speedometer reading it seems mostly to just show 1 or 2 MPH and I know I am not that slow! I have checked the pickup and the magnets and the distances between which are correct) and when I started to run the engine in around the local roads I kept trying to find a cause but then I just gave up. I have just got round to checking everything out as the bike has sat in my garage for a year and I am thinking of selling it at auction and 18 miles is hardly an accurate measure to quote! Putting it on the lift I noticed that the lead from the sensor is long (I suppose for rear wheel applications) and I had coiled it round behind the headlamp in a lazy 7" or 8* diameter coil (aprox two turns) would that have caused my problem? all the other applicable functions, winkers etc work OK and I have the same type of unit on my trail bike and that works OK

1597765805651.png

1597766982957.jpeg

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Some pickups are sensitive to the orientation of the magnetic field. Can you try flipping it over?

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Sorry Tim. I might not have been clear. You need to swap North pole and South pole.

vibrac

VOC Member
No its me being thick :rolleyes:
the magnet is a small coin size item about 3/16-1/4" diameter you can see it mounted in an alloy arm on the edge rib of an akron rim in the above pic. I guess its poles are arranged like this (I course I have no idea which way round)
1597820010812.png
So does this disc need to be reversed?

John Appleton

VOC Member
the magnet is a small coin size item about 3/16-1/4" diameter you can see it mounted in an alloy arm on the edge rib of an akron rim in the above pic. I guess its poles are arranged like this (I course I have no idea which way round)
View attachment 36793 So does this disc need to be reversed?
Tim, this is Pete's busy time of day so I will jump in and steal his thunder. Yes, the coin sized disc needs to be reversed, at least, it did on my one. John.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
View attachment 36793 So does this disc need to be reversed?
I don't have any actual experience of the Acewell units but when using a Boyer unit as a basis for a home made custom race bike installation, changing the magnet North/South orientation gave some "unexpected" results. In this instance pole orientation could be the problem, it depends on the circuitary in the unit. Looking at your photograph it is possible that your magnet is on the wrong path as it crosses the sensor.
Acewell give this advice:
acewell magnet path.png

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes Eddie I have seen that diagram I understand what it shows except that the sensor is shown as an oblong presented to the magnet path. But the sensor in my case is a single circular point about 1/8" across
1597842620124.png

oexing

VOC Member
Looks like an ordinary proximity switch, not necessarily dependend on magnets but on metal in correct distance from it to trigger it. Three wires on it ?

Vic
Proximity sensor

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator