2012 Racer

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
David,
Is that aCommando gearbox? I wonder if you could e-mail me detail of fitting and engine plate patterns. Also interested in the sump guard, or is it just an oil catcher? Derek. e-mail derek@delro.co.uk

No catch tanks required on pre 48 class racers in UK yet
rhside.jpg

timetraveller

VOC Member
We are discouraged/banned from providing personal contact detais on this Forum so I cannot give you Hugh' details. However, if you contact me on enw07@btinternet.com I will ensure that Hugh knows of your interest.
Yours
Old Father

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Vibrac, you must race with the vintage club! I'm sure the a c u blue book specifies the sizes of the required catch tanks for both engine AND gearbox .

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
A snip from the 2012 ACU Handbook.

15.9 OIL CONTAINMENT
The lower fairing where fitted on all four stroke motorcycles must be constructed to hold at least half
of the total oil and coolant capacity of the engine in the event of an engine failure. The lower edge of
openings in the fairing must be positioned at least 50mm above the bottom of the fairing. (Minimum
modifications to the profile of the lower fairing only to fulfil this rule). (Please see diagram). Four
stroke motorcycles without a lower fairing must fit a sub-reservoir below the crankcase to hold at
least half of the total oil and coolant capacity of the engine in the event of an engine failure.
NOTE: Vintage and Classic machines (prior to 1973) will be exempt at all events.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
As a regular sector marshall at c r m c events I have yet to see any bike without the afore mentioned catch tanks, maybe our competitors have more respect for the others competing! And for the marshalls who have to spend so much time "sweeping-up " after an oil spill. Not forgetting the delays caused to the running of the meeting. Which in extreme circumstances may mean that you will not get your second ride of the day! REmember-most aggravation in racing is self inflicted.

Last edited:

davidd

VOC Member
I would not race without a catch pan. It is a pain to engineer, but once it is done it is incredibly helpful. I had a very small leak in the GB seal and I was on the road. I was happy that the pan was there to catch the few drops that were coming out. I remember a weekend at Mid Ohio years ago before AHRMA had the pan rule and over 50 racers fell down in practice due to oil.

David

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
As far as the larger dowels are concerned it's really the same problem all over again ..... extreme and unnecessary loading due to the fact that the dowels are round... so there only a tiny surface area bearing the load. Long flats would
solve it once an for all spreading the load!