2012 Racer

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Bruce,

In AHRMA you have to use axles without tommy bars (rider safety in a crash) and this was a Vincent axle that had an American rethread job with an American nut (not comments please!) It used a cotter pin as a retention device. I wanted to use the original captured nut, but due to the rethreading the best I could do was to weld a blob on the American nut. The axle is safety wired on the drive side.

David

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
I can not see how the "clunking" dowel fits to the brake plate.... is it threaded in? Being it's round there is not much contact area so it would tend to elongate the slot due to the very heavy load upon the small edge of a radius. Could you not machine
A part with flats at the correct angle to slide in and use the entire slot edge with a snug fit giving much,much more contact area ..... spreading the load? I have used a threaded stud an nut&washer in this position as well.

davidd

VOC Member
Rip,

I am pretty sure that it has a hex behind the blade and a nut on the inside of the plate. It is listed as H4/1 and I think the maker of the 8" brakes used the same design.

I agree with your comments. I need to study it a little to see what is happening, but I think the easiest solution is the nut and washer approach. I used this on a disc brake set up I used on a twin. With the racer I might do something different. I like to minimize the nuts that can fall off as well as keeping it light. I will probably try fitting an H4/1 that fits better as you suggested.

David

Last edited:

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
That's a serious ammont of safety wire! But wht a rotten crosshead screw as a cotter pin!And it gets worse-it's a counterstunk!

Last edited:

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Ok it may be made of "unotabiam" but it would not pass on an m o t here in England. This is NOT to be classed as harrasment, only observation. In any case, crossheads were not "period correct".

Last edited:

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
I am sure that however you do it it will be as nice as the rest of your work. You can see how that round dowel works like a ball-peen hammer at the point of contact and the situation will only get worse.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Concerning the clunk/clonk of the stop in the girdraulics; Hugh McAlister, who makes these brakes is aware of the problem and can provide oversized stop pins which will require the slot in the girdralics to be opened up by a few thou to fit. The stop pins are fitted into a hole in the plates and have a washer and thin nut on the inside of the plate to hold the pins in place.