Misc: Everything Else 1951 Black Shadow Restoration

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I was convinced that the wires are just fine left in place by an engine I had to sort out a few years ago. The cases had sat for a time with rods in place after a major overhaul, and covered by a cloth. Some time later the top end was put back together and the engine reassembled to the cycle parts. This did take a period of many months, not a few days. The engine was finally started and ran very well and put into service. With very few miles on it the return oil line blew off the banjo on the bottom of the oil tank. I was tasked with trying to find out what was up. As this is the oil return system I worked backwards to the pump, finding the oil lines fairly full of very fine bits of cloth. That led to suspecting the filter has self destructed and this was the wool from the filter. The filter was clean and intact. Eventually I went fishing in the cases with a hooked wire and extracted what appeared to be the remains of a mouse nest. I cleaned the cases out and removed the timing cover clearing all the passage ways finding nothing in there and then pulled the rocker bushings. I found small bits of the fabric, that some little mouse had carefully built his home from, had worked their way in only a few miles of engine running, down the holes in the locking rocker feed bolts which had the wires in then and into the opening for the lubrication of the rockers. That was as far as it had got but amazed me how much had reached the rockers. All was cleaned and the engine has performed very well for the past few years with no other traces of mouse nest to be found.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Ron and me did some work on a blokes Twin,
Been standing a long time,
Got it going and ran , Not too bad,
I went back to Devon for more work on it and it smoked like Hell,
I said to Ron what's happened ?,
He said I took the wires out , Didn't think it needed them !,
I said well bloody put em back ! :) .
Back to normal !, Phew !.

craig

VOC Member
Where is the oil capacity of the gearbox and primary documented?
Primary I realize it has level hole, but? ½pint?
Gearbox? 2 pints?

craig

VOC Member
I have added oil and trial fitting details and wiring.

Tailite brakelite need wiring hook up, rear fender supports not drilled and bolted, , front fender brace needs holes and bolts, muffler /pipe need bolts, speedo lights need ground established, petcocks need fitted, fuel lines installed/fabbed, possibly 100 other items.

20210920_OilAdded1.jpg

Tank has to come off to fit petcocks, this is not a Norton.

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
The new Vincent C series gas tank that has been a display pieces for 10 years is not going to work. It looks the part but has a fatal flaw on a twin. The the right petcock outlet is too far inward and the return oil line will not allow connection , not even close. Lucky I have a Comet tank , well used but fits perfect for this twin.

20210920_CometTankFit1.jpg

Electrical grounding is the next concern, horn doesnt honk except when button added external clip on ground wire, same for speedo lights

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have a return wire for everything, you can't rely on a good connection through numerous cycle parts. I have one of the headlamp mounting bolts drilled and tapped 5mm at the inner end and everything at the front end goes there with one wire back to the main earth point.

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Added crash bar , got lights at front working Miller sealed beam, horn working, speedo lights working,
need LED tailight/brakelight installed.

Fuel tank on and fuel lines connected.

20210920_CometTankFit2.jpg

You feel the heat off the sealed beam, might need LED unit

20210920_CometTankFi32.jpg

Added split lock washers to speedo mount to establish ground.
loosened and twisted horn button on handlebars to establish ground.
Added a second rear tank mount lower rubber to center oil filler neck.
horn looks the part, but sounds like a duck call.
20210920_CometTankFit4.jpg

Working on dashboard, not sure if I am leaving the speedo mount, but be nice to have a GPS off to the left of speedo.
added clock,

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Got Shadow outside for oil filter fillup.

OilFilter fill.jpg

Looks like road kill.

ShadowFirstRide1.jpg

First ride was challenging.
Start kick thru a little stiff.
Doesn't shift well, clutch seems out of adjust, idle speed keeps increasing as engine breaks in.
Charging system is not working.
Lights all working.

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Status of Shadow after road test 10 miles.

20210921_PrimaryAltonClutchRepairs.jpg

C4, C5/1 loose
Alton plastic gear failure with center ripped out.
Alton gear screw resting in primary bottom luckily.
One Alton output terminal loose in my junction box.

Looking for more issues

20210921_AltonPlastic.jpg

20210921_AltonHub.jpg

Appears ET164 oil shield ring was rubbing the Alton hub.

Shadow ran well, simply no charging in the electrical system.

Clutch was not acting well , shifting erratic, but cruising in third and forth was great.

Last edited:

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Your first ride is very familiar. The nylon pinion with center melted is not pretty. I went to the original steel drive pinion and have not had any trouble since.