1000 twin service specs

Dingocooke

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I know its difficult to join all clubs, I am a member of VMCC, VOC, but I am also a member of the Douglas and Scott owners and there I regard myself as a newbie in relation to knowledge of the machines. While both have thriving Forums direct face to face advice has been invaluable during my rebuilds things that I would never have know from the web or documentation about the bikes and perhaps more importantly collaborative experience about suppliers and 'personalities' and people to be trustedSo off you go to a VOC club night, contrary to rumours they don’t shoot non-members at the door.(well perhaps if they come on a Hardly Ableson :eek:)
Appreciate that; I did wonder if there were ritual shooting ;-) .... just off to search the website, but in case I come up with nothing, is there a list of where local meetings take place (I am based just north of Nottingham)Thanks in advanceCheersSteve

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Vincents can have more parts than a Duc, see the gear lever! :D

There is a good amount of technical info in posts here on the Forum, many from the late Big Sid. Being a free spirited bunch, many times nuggets are posted in off topic threads, so hard to search for. Basic things such as magneto points gap must be elsewhere, try thevincent.com, it is entertaining! If we have given the impression that we won't give information, that is unfortunate. Since many have had their bikes a while, we have the recommended books and just look there for the basic items. As far as having an Egli, other than from those Norvin rowdies :cool:, I don't think there is any lowered status. Let us know how you like the bike when you can let it stretch its legs.

MO09.jpg

vibrac

VOC Member
Good example Bruce
most vincents made did not even have a gearchange set up like that
(Memo must find that series B lever and linkage and sell it)

Dingocooke

Non-VOC Member
Vincents can have more parts than a Duc, see the gear lever! :DThere is a good amount of technical info in posts here on the Forum, many from the late Big Sid. Being a free spirited bunch, many times nuggets are posted in off topic threads, so hard to search for. Basic things such as magneto points gap must be elsewhere, try thevincent.com, it is entertaining! If we have given the impression that we won't give information, that is unfortunate. Since many have had their bikes a while, we have the recommended books and just look there for the basic items. As far as having an Egli, other than from those Norvin rowdies :cool:, I don't think there is any lowered status. Let us know how you like the bike when you can let it stretch its legs.
MO09.jpg
Nice pic Bruce, I guess you missed the point that it wasn't a direct comparison, but I like pictures :) ,and hey, I do admire Irving's desire for adjustability in a machine; an attitude exemplified by that gear lever! Modern bikes (including Ducati) require the rider to adjust to fit the bike much more! Sometimes progress is negative ;-)Yes I found the Vincent dot com prior to this forum, interesting info on there, but thanks for the heads up all the same.Laughed out loud at the lowered status, good one, keep um coming, maybe I should get a Norvin!! I don't mind where in the hierarchy I might be with anything, I ride an R1 when I want something a bit quicker than any of my antiques can muster, so that must take me right to the bottom; happy days!!!Will let you know how it goes; my strip down and thorough check over is almost finished now; it's only an evening's work away from ready for some better weather!Take careSteve

Spqreddie

VOC Member
Something i feel sometimes is missing in Vincent literature is nut and bolts torque settings,
as mentioned here the valuable advice of an older club member in person might be the cure...
Thanks!
Eddie

Dingocooke

Non-VOC Member
Something i feel sometimes is missing in Vincent literature is nut and bolts torque settings,as mentioned here the valuable advice of an older club member in person might be the cure...Thanks!Eddie
Norbar (UK makers of reasonable quality budget torque wrenches) offer this guide, it might help you decide? UNC is close enough to BSW, UNF to BSF. Of course cycle threads are much more about being fine enough to resist shaking loose than ultimate torque handling. My experience, torque wrenches are probably most useful where you have something critical but where you cant easily measure stretch, e.g. head bolts, whereas con rod big end bolts for a plain bearing crank rod, for example, stretch is better (that's what Carillo, amongst others, recommend)Here's the Norbar chart:http://www.leytonfasteners.co.uk/pdfs/TorqueValueGuide.pdfUnbrako do a good one as well, but you need to be using their hi tensile cap heads to use those figures!!

vibrac

VOC Member
All this torque of torque wrenches makes me smile a bit
we are talking late 40s in england I doubt there was a torque wrench on the Vincent factory floor
things were made to stand ham fists, home maintenance , designed with safty factors for long life extra strength thats why they have exceeded more than any expected economic working lifetime
if I am working 'Jap'on my modern egg shell cases with precision fits and computerized just capable bearings, and fastenings with cheap cross head screws you bet I have my torque wrench handy and I use it;
On the Vincent about the only place I use one is on the head bolts.
A very well known Vincent engineer once told me "tight is tight, too tight is broken" adding "the best torque wrench is in your muscle memory"

Dingocooke

Non-VOC Member
All this torque of torque wrenches makes me smile a bitwe are talking late 40s in england I doubt there was a torque wrench on the Vincent factory floorthings were made to stand ham fists, home maintenance , designed with safty factors for long life extra strength thats why they have exceeded more than any expected economic working lifetimeif I am working 'Jap'on my modern egg shell cases with precision fits and computerized just capable bearings, and fastenings with cheap cross head screws you bet I have my torque wrench handy and I use it;On the Vincent about the only place I use one is on the head bolts.A very well known Vincent engineer once told me "tight is tight, too tight is broken" adding "the best torque wrench is in your muscle memory"
Spot on; I only use a torque wrench on head bolts or main bearing caps (not big ends, I use 'stretch' with a mic for them) everything else I can tighten by hand, my stuff doesn't fall to bits!!But hey, I posted the tables in the spirit of mutual help! Oh and you don't have to join my club, as an enthusiast I'll contribute what I know FOC to anyone that wants it ;-) As an aside, an old gas fitter friend used to ask 'gas tight or 'F' tight?' you can guess what he meant...