1000 twin service specs

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Many Vincent manuals, spares books etc. have cunningly incorporated errors in them. Only by talking to experienced members i.e. joining the club will you be able to sort out the right from the wrong. The errors vary from edition to edition, none intentional but they can lead to much head scratching and sick motors.

Howard

VOC Member
Many Vincent manuals, spares books etc. have cunningly incorporated errors in them. Only by talking to experienced members i.e. joining the club will you be able to sort out the right from the wrong. The errors vary from edition to edition, none intentional but they can lead to much head scratching and sick motors.

And that's before we start talking modern oils, tyres, ignition systems, charging systems etc that the book writers hadn't heard of.

Joining the VOC really is the only way to get to know a Vincent and all it's quirks, variations and needs.

What's £30 when Phil Irving's autobiography is over £300 second hand?

H

Sorry for the last line, I'm still smarting at not being able to afford it for my son as a stocking filler. :(

Last edited:

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
Hey, dingocooke,
suggest, you cancel all yr other club´s memberships, send me the amount saved, and also save the voc membership fee, as I am member of this club and
will tell you anything you want to hear about your precious machine....
think abt it!
cheers, :cool:

Dingocooke

Non-VOC Member
Nice posts guys, are you on commission ;-) :)There's a few good Vincent people in the VMCC who can put me right on basic settings I am sure, plus I can ask John Mossey, and the rest I can work out, they're a push rod twin at the end of the day, foibles and design genius yes, but not that complex after working on 8 valve Desmo Ducatis and double knocker manx's!! As for oils etc. the guy from Opie is a great source, see his Pistonheads help thread which is free ;-)Titch Allen gave me his copy of Irving's book, must dig it out

Dingocooke

Non-VOC Member
Hey, dingocooke,suggest, you cancel all yr other club´s memberships, send me the amount saved, and also save the voc membership fee, as I am member of this club andwill tell you anything you want to hear about your precious machine....think abt it!cheers, :cool:
I'm only in the VMCC ;-) :cool:

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I hope you will forgive me for being "direct"...Vincents are unique in many ways that cannot easily be grasped at first glance and you will find that the vast store house of knowledge at your disposal is well worth the relatively insignificant membership cost. I have come across a few owners who have equated Vincents with Harleys, Indians and yes even Ducatis..the results have all been similar, and costly. Please remember that you do not "own" a Vincent, you are merely its caretaker until it passes from your hands to the next person.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
To echo Bob's post, I had a Ducati shop with a top reputation cut my valve seats. I gave them copies of the relevant references that stressed the double guides and they ignored it and only piloted off the lower guides. There are similarities, but the differences can make a big difference.

vibrac

VOC Member
I know its difficult to join all clubs, I am a member of VMCC, VOC, but I am also a member of the Douglas and Scott owners and there I regard myself as a newbie in relation to knowledge of the machines. While both have thriving Forums direct face to face advice has been invaluable during my rebuilds things that I would never have know from the web or documentation about the bikes and perhaps more importantly collaborative experience about suppliers and 'personalities' and people to be trusted
So off you go to a VOC club night, contrary to rumours they don’t shoot non-members at the door.
(well perhaps if they come on a Hardly Ableson :eek:)

Dingocooke

Non-VOC Member
A bit of mis-interpretation going on here, which is easy enough to do with written word and no push pull of normal conversation.Folks, I am not saying a Vincent twin is the same as an 8 valve Ducati; what I am saying is a Vincent is a two valve pushrod engine with some nice design features, and are not more complex than, say an 8 valve Ducati, just different.For example, shimming 8 Desmo valves, with 16 rockers, 8 of which need a zero clearance is slightly more complex than a four valve pushrod twin; and easier if you take the engine out! Building a short stroke manx from parts, bought and made, is not a walk in the park either..in other words, I am more than capable of the work, all I needed is a little information to do so, so I came on here, and have found the policy is to not supply info to non members, so I bought a book, which I am variously told will be wrong, not relevant to my bike etc. with modern BTH mag, Alton alternator, 18" wheels and modern-ish tyres I realise I have to interpret whatever I read, its always the same for special builders/users!! My bike will get used, and often in company with a real mixture of other bikes, many modern, so it needs to be right!I bought an (Egli) Vincent, because I love the design; we're all singing off the same hymn sheet here, as for custody of a bike, surely we are all custodians of everything. My restored (and well used) 1931 ex works cammy Norton sits in the Museum at Birmingham for just that reason ;-)I made the mistake of assuming the public area on the forum might contain some basic technical info while I am checking the bike over, but it doesn't, so there you go; my mistake.I may yet join the club, but just like a Kirby Vacuum cleaner, a heavy sales pitch puts you off what might well be a jolly good thingRide safe and enjoy yourselvesBest regardsSteve