C: Clutch Multi-Plate Clutches

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Like you Greg, I remember one day early in my Vincent life dismantling my clutch 13 times before I could get it to function as it should, and although I eventually replaced it with a plate clutch, I would rather have a properly working original than a plate clutch, So Mr. eharris, should you opt for a plate clutch, I'll give you a tenner for your original clutch and of course pay the freight bill to ship it to Canada!!

stu spalding

VOC Member
Me neither. I do possess a couple so I know they exist but I've a feeling they had aerospace origins. Cheers, Stu.

oexing

VOC Member
Initial question was about clutch slip with standard clutch. So in my thinking the servo part of this is not working as designed. The flat plates must be allright basically as the bike is able to get under way with them . Next stage for power transmission is the servo part which slips obviously. So Why no servo action then ?? Is there a stop in shoes and all for not getting to the servo stage when oil is not the root of troubles ? Very worn down linings on shoes never a factor - or are they ? . . . just thinking . . .

Vic

kerry

VOC Member
Personally I would go for the multi plate from the VOC, I have had both and much prefer multi, your choice of course

eharris

VOC Member
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

I shall work though a few cycles of trying to get the standard clutch to work before I give up on it.

The issue for me with this is that each cycle needs a road test which then extends the time taken.

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

I shall work though a few cycles of trying to get the standard clutch to work before I give up on it.

The issue for me with this is that each cycle needs a road test which then extends the time taken.
I read that you are going to try and get the clutch working properly I have been told by very experienced Vincent men that it is a great clutch and I believe them My rapide was built from a ‘ basket case ‘ so I put multiplate in and have no other experience I said I would send you contact detail for Neal Videan so have attached if you ever need them Good luck whatever you decide. Greetings from Victoria.

Attachments

• 49E60522-9EBE-4A5C-A9DF-FA0DDACEE516.jpeg
    49E60522-9EBE-4A5C-A9DF-FA0DDACEE516.jpeg
    488.2 KB · Views: 26

Chris Launders

VOC Member
The essential thing with the standard clutch is to ensure no oil gets to the shoes or it will slip whatever else you do.

Personally being a bit of a heathen I smear silicon inside the inner end of the shoe carrier and then a bead on the end before fitting.

Craig Hilton

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Evening all,

Having got the bike on the road (see the “It works!” post), I have taken it out for a bit more of a run and discovered the clutch both drags at low speed and slips at higher speed (55 in top), so I am now faced with the question of how to approach this.

It has a standard clutch and I fitted a new friction plate and springs when I had the primary drive off to fit a D ESA. Whilst I am confident that I put it all back together in the right order, there is a significant chance I didn’t set it up as accurately as it could have been.

Where I am going with this is that I would like to get some use of it this summer, so I would like to be able to get to the point of having a reliably working clutch as quickly and simply as possible, which could be that I fit one of the Spares Co multiplate clutches.

I do realise that the standard clutch can work very well, but my fear is that mine will take a lot of tinkering to get there.

What are your thoughts?
Hi, I have recently fitted one of Neal Videan’s multi plate clutches (Australia) - a simple retro fit with no modifications. I can’t fault the new clutch - light and smooth, it has transformed the bike. Highly recommend. ‘53 Black Shadow.

eharris

VOC Member
UPDATE:

Upon taking the clutch apart, I cleaned every thing carefully with degreaser and then alcohol. I roughened the shoe friction material with emery cloth and put it all back together with plenty of wellseal on the splines, a new C18 seal and an o-ring inside that (mentioned in Richardson).

I put some washers under the rear pressure plate C21 against C13 as there were some significant marks in the back of it.

I evened up the lift with a couple of washers on the highest side of the lift (at the second attempt, when I realised that they need to fit over C14 too!).

On a road test today it seems much better, certain with no slip at larger throttle openings, which is a relief.

I haven’t dismissed the idea of fitting a multiplate, but certainly what I have will do for now.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Ed.

Last edited: