C: Clutch Multi-Plate Clutches

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Even though you say the outer plate comes out , On the tip !,
With the engine OFF and in neutral , Can you kick the kicker easy / Free ?,
You can easy swop the springs around to try and balance the lift better ?.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Often it is due to the springs being tight in the spring cups, and also the adjuster in the center of the outer pressure plate is not running square to the pushrod..........Shimming the springs will work, but these items need to be looked at first. The length of the C15 tubes is important as well........These are often all over the place........This will upset the spring pressures around the plate. If you fit the adjuster in the C23 outer plate in the chuck of a lathe, or even a cordless drill and spin it, you will see how much the pressure plate wobbles like a swash plate.......This is a common cause of the outer plate not lifting squarely.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I must admit, i bought one of Norman's kits for the clutch years ago, and it's still sitting on the shelf........Once I sorted out my clutch it has been fine ever since.........Mind you early on when I got my bike I seriously thought I was going to wear out those 9 2Ba thread screws.........Poor neighbors must have thought there was a madman living next door with the excessive amounts of cursing going on..........

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
There has been a lot said on here about clutches,
Some have had trouble with Multi plate ones !,

There is so much on here to help you with the " Standard " one, Which you already have,
The Vincent was built for a SINGLE Plate lift !,
To me , Stick with what you have, And ask these Lads.
Cheers Bill.
There are several multi-plate clutches available and one or two versions using the old Norton clutch. I fitted a new multi-plate clutch that came with the my basket case Rapide. It was OK but I did have a few problems and it needed the plates cleaning occasionally to keep it functioning smoothly. Others may have had a better experience. I switched to the Vincent clutch using the worn bits in the box. The Rapide has now done over 50,00 miles. Setup correctly it is very good with a pleasantly light lift at the handlebar lever.

eharris

VOC Member
Often it is due to the springs being tight in the spring cups, and also the adjuster in the center of the outer pressure plate is not running square to the pushrod..........Shimming the springs will work, but these items need to be looked at first. The length of the C15 tubes is important as well........These are often all over the place........This will upset the spring pressures around the plate. If you fit the adjuster in the C23 outer plate in the chuck of a lathe, or even a cordless drill and spin it, you will see how much the pressure plate wobbles like a swash plate.......This is a common cause of the outer plate not lifting squarely.
The springs are new, and all to within a mm of each other when I checked last night. The cups are the originals, but also within a mm or so of each other.

Presumably shimming the side that moves the most should increase the spring pressure on that half and then even up the lift?

I shall get a set of CSK Socket screws instead of the slotted ones, as I'm already bored the dismantling/assembly process!

bmetcalf

VOC Member
If you keep the slotted screws, grind a screwdriver to fit them perfectly and use it only for those screws.