C: Clutch Multi-Plate Clutches

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
UPDATE:

Upon taking the clutch apart, I cleaned every thing carefully with degreaser and then alcohol. I roughened the shoe friction material with emery cloth and put it all back together with plenty of wellseal on the splines, a new C27 and an o-ring inside that (mentioned in Richardson).

I put some washers under the rear pressure plate C21 against C13 as there were some significant marks in the back of it.

I evened up the lift with a couple of washers on the highest side of the lift (at the second attempt, when I realised that they need to fit over C14 too!).

On a road test today it seems much better, certain with no slip at larger throttle openings, which is a relief.

I haven’t dismissed the idea of fitting a multiplate, but certainly what I have will do for now.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Ed.
Well done Ed. Tenacity and a bit of tweaking win the day.:)

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
TT did tell you about an "O"ring behind the shore carrier as it saves the difficult extraction with all that goop on the splines in the future .

eharris

VOC Member
TT did tell you about an "O"ring behind the shore carrier as it saves the difficult extraction with all that goop on the splines in the future .
I did consider that mod, but chickened out of inexpertly hacking away at the precision machined hollow shaft end with a Dremel!

I understand how it is meant to work and agree that it is a much better solution than the gloop on the splines.

highbury731

VOC Member
If I go for the O-ring at the gearbox end of the shoe carrier, how does the machinist hold the shoe carrier to cut the recess?
I have just been looking on Evil-bay for O-rings and see that they can be had in 1.5mm, 2mm, 2.5mm and 3mm section. I am thinking that a thin section, say 1.5mm or 2mm might be best. Comments?

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Put the oring between the PD 21 and the inner race of the bearing in the G2 plate, Use a 1/16 dia or 1.5 mm o ring and it will just seal up the shaft. When we first started doing this we made new PD 21 and cut an internal oring groove before hardening but this way is MUCH easier!

highbury731

VOC Member
Ah, the fun of building a bike from boxes of bits. I somehow did not notice the PD21 in drawings, and see it here:

Usefully, the PD21 is hidden in primary drive drawings, when it needs to be with clutch drawings instead..... I had to use internet drawings as my books are not with me at the moment.

If there's a bolt-on, or rather slip-in part that will resolve the perennial problem of oil in the Vincent clutch, I do wonder why it is not available as an off-the-shelf part. Now how about someone making a batch of PD21 with O-ring?

Paul

timetraveller

VOC Member
The machinist could use a four jaw chuck. Alternatively, if you have a 45 deg valve seat cutter you can use that in a pillar drill or mill. The first time I did this I used a rotary grindstone in a handheld electric drill and did it carefully by hand. I used a 3 mm section 'o' ring but there are so many more different sections available now that you can choose one which will just compress within the cut out when the end of the shoe carrier is tight up against the end stop. In a perfect world with access to a decent machinist this would all be trivial but about 60 years ago when I first did this I just did it so the 'o' ring would be compressed and over years of road and sprinting use it never gave any trouble. The important thing to know is that the 'o' ring only needs about five thou compression to be a perfect seal so you can get away with a lot less than a perfect job.
I agree that it is a pity that the Spares Company does not provide an updated design.

highbury731

VOC Member
It seems easier to do Robert Watson's suggestion and just make a new PD21 with O-ring recess, then harden it. Can someone give me the OD and thickness? Am I correct in thinking it's 1" ID? I expect I can find someone to make one, but VOC Spares should be carrying this.....

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Or just do as I described above. It compresses the o ring into the radius of the ID of the inner race of the bearing. Certainly the O ring in the ID of the PD21 is a great solution, but the other works just as well.