C: Clutch Multi-Plate Clutches

eharris

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
As I suggested earlier, if you can get up to around the 50 mph mark your primary clutch is driving adequately. The problem almost certainly lies with the main clutch. If you don't find the cause of the slipping main clutch to be oil contamination you might remove the clutch shoes and see if the lining in the C7 shoe has been drilled to give access to the plunger adjustment screw. It is easy to drill the lining in line with the plunger if it hasn't been done. Slacken it off a turn, test and see if it grips any better. If it slips the plunger has too much pressure. if there is not enough spring pressure the clutch will tend to bite abruptly.
It is a bit suck it and see to get a feel for it but you do get good at taking off and refitting the primary clutch, etc.;)
P.S. In the 60-70 years that these bikes have been around there is no telling what a previous owner may have done so check all the parts carefully.
The lining certainly has been drilled to access the plunger, as I observed this when I last had it apart.

I don't recall any indication of oil at the time (but this was early on in the project and so was about three years ago), and the bike had been left as it was since it last ran, so I think that any oil would have still been there.

highbury731

VOC Member
What I am learning is that a Vincent is properly weird. Any other bike, and dead flat clutch plates are the go. Does that mean I have to ask about EVERYTHING before I put my foot in it? Are Vincent wheels supposed to be round?

Last edited:

delboy

VOC Member
Yes Stu'.
My experience is that if a new, flat, one piece friction disc is fitted, or one which has inflexible lining material bonded to it, an ever so slight "dishing" is advantageous to the metal plates, to get the thing to work straight off, rather than them being dead flat.
The metal pilot plates flatten out when they come together and so become flat against the friction material giving full grip as opposed to just on their periphery.
The old fashioned inserted friction plates and "cork" bonded ones seem more tolerant as the friction material gives a bit.
Bolt a metal pilot plate down, put a dial gauge on it and press on the edge, you'll be surprised.
Cheers,
Delboy.

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
Thank you all (esp. BigEd for his comprehensive reply). I'll have a bit of a tinker this evening and try bringing it in to work on Tuesday (I have been talking about this bike for so long that some of my colleagues are starting to wonder if it really exists, a variation on the geek's imaginary girlfriend!).

Anyone want to comment on the difficulty to install and setup the VOCSC multiplate clutch?
If you are still thinking of installing a new multiplate clutch then perhaps look at the Neal Videan clutch He advertises in MPH

eharris

VOC Member
If you are still thinking of installing a new multiplate clutch then perhaps look at the Neal Videan clutch He advertises in MPH
Thanks. Does he have a website, as he didn’t list it in his last advert?

Perhaps I should have been less specific about whose multiplate clutch. I am just trying to work out what I should do to get a reliable clutch soonest. If a replacement clutch will “just” (different people will have different definitions of “just”) fit and work then I prepared to spend the money and do that, but if that is also going to consume a bunch of time in setup and adjustment, then I’m prepared to persevere with the standard one.

If you see what I mean!

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
Thanks. Does he have a website, as he didn’t list it in his last advert?

Perhaps I should have been less specific about whose multiplate clutch. I am just trying to work out what I should do to get a reliable clutch soonest. If a replacement clutch will “just” (different people will have different definitions of “just”) fit and work then I prepared to spend the money and do that, but if that is also going to consume a bunch of time in setup and adjustment, then I’m prepared to persevere with the standard one.

If you see what I mean!
I don’t know of website but usually half page add in MPH All Neals parts work in my experience I’m out working when I get home I can send contact details if you don’t find before

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
There has been a lot said on here about clutches,
Some have had trouble with Multi plate ones !,

There is so much on here to help you with the " Standard " one, Which you already have,
The Vincent was built for a SINGLE Plate lift !,
To me , Stick with what you have, And ask these Lads.
Cheers Bill.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Neal's new dry multi plate clutches are probably the quickest and easiest ones to live with, easy to set up and no drag when engaging gears. They use different friction plates and come with a special steel type pressure pate, so not the same as his wet clutches. These are the same clutch assemblies used in all the new Godet Egli's. I prefer the original clutches, but they are prone to ware in many areas' and they do take some patience and care to set up........Plus it takes some time to actually work out how they function. Good luck with it all.

eharris

VOC Member
Thanks you all for you comments.

Investigation last night reveals that the primary clutch not so much lifts as opens as if it were hinged on one side! Behind that there was definite signs of oil in the drum, so my assertion that I thought it was dry was rubbish! The plates do appears to be reasonably flat, when compared against each other and they are indeed slightly ”dished”, when compared against a straight edge.

I think I shall have one cycle of trying to get it sorted before I replace it. I’ll let you know how I get on!

Last edited: