Worn cams/Oil restrictor disc mystery in timing cover...

riptragle1953

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Yes, that is where I believe I gathered this too.... as I said, I also have heard a couple more reasons for them too. Interesting. Y'now, what oil was available when the machine was designed? Probably used 50W non detergent that when cold
was very thick and didn't flow well at all. Sid mentioned fouling plugs during city riding were the machine would become hot and the oil the viscosity of water.....
so I am thinking that in town very thin oil could cause fouled plugs. I just don't know. One thing, they don't hurt anything no matter what they were for.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Sid here . The thin brass discs were used ONLY behind the two rearward rubber washers that fed oil to the rear piston thrust faces . Not those that fed the cams . And this ONLY if those cylinders are running oily , wet plugs . Never reduce the feeds to the cam spindles . Cams need all the oil they can get .
Also the metering wires Up top need only be fitted where that same over oiling is experianced . Both of these reduction measures were introduced to reduce complaints coming in about fouling plugs during town running . The wires need only go in the intake rocker feed . A 20 thou wire in the 30 thou hole .
Richardson tells you to ` It is permissible to substitute a thinner wireto increase the supply of oil to the rocker bearing, PARTICULARLY on the exhaust side.
So that`s your theory, knocked on the head.
A little reading before posting, can sometimes work wonders.

vibrac

VOC Member
A little reading before posting, can sometimes work wonders.

Good advice Trevor but often ignored
in fact even if no books are read (personally I like to devour a couple a week) and some contributors just read the accumulated postings here, many questions have been already covered

dagriise@online.no

Non-VOC Member
On the issue of the oil feed gallery.. I had to dismantle a new buildt timing chest a few times, and noted swelling of the black rubber oil seals against the shafts... Has anyone else seen this happen?

Dag

Comet Rider

VOC Member
On the issue of the oil feed gallery.. I had to dismantle a new buildt timing chest a few times, and noted swelling of the black rubber oil seals against the shafts... Has anyone else seen this happen?

Dag

Hi Dag,
Yes I have seen this before.
I had some analysed by a friend in the seal busines, and he told me that it swelled because it was not the correct grade of rubber (ie not oil tollerant)

Current supply now seems to be of good quality, both VOCSC and Russell&Debbie Kemp

HTH
Neil

Last edited:

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
My new Rap had none in the ex. Rocker feed and didn't smoke or foul plugs , right out of the box . This in 51 . Where were you Trev ? you could have pointed out the error , taught me a lesson . My loss no doubt . Where would I be without your hovering around ? Sid .

greg brillus

VOC Member
Interesting if you "READ" what Richardson said re the oil metering wires.....my take on his point is to increase the feed to allow more oil to lube the rocker bearing assembly....it says nothing at all about oil consumption. Most times I have seen oiling issues is with badly worn guides, broken or badly worn rings ( these as with "Any " engine) but the most common one i find is the piston skirt oil feed being higher than the lower ring/s.....this by far the Big oiling problem that I've found.....and very common. By far the most important item that needs constant oiling is the cams and followers, then the crank and so on.....Greg.

vibrac

VOC Member

Dag

Almost afraid to say this....

"They dont swell with my castrol R"

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Sid here . None of our own Vincents , enc the two racers feature the wires , none foul plugs or smoke . If drainage away from the upper end of the lower guides is tended to they are not needed .
If the oil feed is too high up in the sleeve it can feed oil directly into the oil ring groove causing problems , but this can be corrected with the restrictor discs placed behind THOSE two timing cover feed rubbers . Where the piston clearance permits , not too close , the tiny holes can be soldered closed to eliminate this oil flow entirely . We never set skirt clearance closer than 4 thou , even with modern high expansion pistons , more with the old Specialloids . For racing or top end running no less than 6 thou . Sid .