Worn cams/Oil restrictor disc mystery in timing cover...

Big Sid

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Sid again . I was only noting the Factory reasoning and practice some 60 years ago . Not reacting or pointing out errors . They did pretty damn good back then to my way of thinking ! These days so many second guess them with no need to back it up in practice . Cheap punting .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
They ordered in Hepolite pistons and had to use what was sent them , didn't make the rings themselves . State of the Art back then , tho Specialloid were better in racing pistons and rings . Held all the records . Still got some new ones on the shelf now . Sid .

mercurycrest

VOC Member
I use it in the road twin and the racers I intend to recycle the old (racing oil is never over used) R in my scott two stroke I read somewhere that to clean oil all you need is two containers one high with the dirty oil in and a wick to a lower new container and presto clean oil! (never tried it yet, cant think of a good wick off hand) but I do know R doesnt easily wear out!

Didn't the German's use old Bean Oil in the ME-109R? I seem to remember reading used oil had much stronger molecules and they simply let the impurities settle to the bottom and scooped the good, clean stuff off the top. They called it "Picking the Bloom Off."
Cheers, John

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Sid, my comments had nothing what-so-ever to do with your post...... I am speaking of the original idea to use these wire ..... as they have been mentioned here it just made me think about it.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Sid again . My comeback not aimed at you Rip , just pointing out the jiggle wire as a clever , novel and effective way they reduced the oil flow without redesign expense . Certainly guide seals are better at this job where the lower guide is worn , but they felt that the oil level in the head was too high . This fault alleviated also by improving the run off towards the pushrod tube as oil tended to pool around the upper end of the guide . Done this to many motors myself and its nearly as effective as guide seals .

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
In my time I have heard a whole bunch of theories explaining what the wire was for. One I do remember was it was there to keep the hole open from getting blocked with crud..... and a few more I forget.

D

Deleted member 1085

From my point of view restricting the oil flow to the pistons with wire (if indeed this was the reason) to prevent oiled up combustion chambers and fouled plugs is no solution at all. Excellent oil control rings, sealed intake guides and a real
crankcase breathing system would keep things clean. Restricting wires indeed! Well, they are cheaper than doing it right.
Thought I read somewhere the joggle wires were to stop the holes from getting blocked?