C: Clutch Won't shift

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Morning Denny, Do you have a book telling you how to adjust the gear change,
If not we could put something up here,
We tend to think everybody has the Paul Richardson book, But like the book ,
We have been around for many years !!.

If you undo the footrest Stud/Nuts and the gear change is OK when Engine is cold,
Which will make the battery carrier loose, Then your problem could be sorted by adjusting the 2 nuts till the outer just nips the alloy plate, When cold !.

I would try NOT to kick anything other than the Kickstart, Really Bad things can happen !!.

Last edited:

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
If the 'box shifted ok before the cover came off, slacken-off the screws that hold the cover, Pull the clutch, operate the kicker a few times, operate the shifter up and down, re tighten the fixings. If this is not succesful, say so and I'll try to come up with the next step.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
OK Denny, If you don't have this this is from Richardson. You can use this and try it with the cover removed.
20201210_122202-1.jpg

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
If the 'box shifted ok before the cover came off, slacken-off the screws that hold the cover, Pull the clutch, operate the kicker a few times, operate the shifter up and down, re tighten the fixings. If this is not succesful, say so and I'll try to come up with the next step.
I was thinking along a similar line. If the bike changed gear OK before the cover was repaired and that the adjusting mechanism was not touched then has the welding distorted the repaired cover? Is the cover face flat because if its not then it may be distorting the G50 plate when the cover screws are tightened. Try slackening the cover screws off 1/2 a turn and see if you can change gear with the lever whilst slowly rotating the rear wheel forward whilst the bike is on the rear stand. If that makes no difference then you need to look at the procedure posted above by BigEd.

Simon

vibrac

VOC Member
As I said above if you haven't got the equal gap -or as I have found before no gap at all, how can you create it?

Denny653

VOC Member
Morning Denny, Do you have a book telling you how to adjust the gear change,
If not we could put something up here,
We tend to think everybody has the Paul Richardson book, But like the book ,
We have been around for many years !!.

If you undo the footrest Stud/Nuts and the gear change is OK when Engine is cold,
Which will make the battery carrier loose, Then your problem could be sorted by adjusting the 2 nuts till the outer just nips the alloy plate, When cold !.

I would try NOT to kick anything other than the Kickstart, Really Bad things can happen !!.
I appreciate everyone taking the time to give suggestions. I have the Know Thy Beast, a Riders Handbook, Forty Years On, The Spare Parts List, and the Richardson book, and I have been going through them. I am going to work on everyone's suggestions today.

Thanks again. I'll be back

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Just a word, I like Paul Richardson book, But as a lot printed stuff there are a few mistakes !,
Thinking mostly , Valve timing on a Comet ?, Good luck, Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
You have a job to find better than Robinson gearchange adjustment instructions unfortunately I begin to conclude that its either not enough or the mechanism design is not up to the job
unless of course someone here knows a trick or two more.....

Denny653

VOC Member
Hello Roy, I loosened everything on the cover. The gear indicator shifts fine, but the shift pedal won't move in either direction. I had to take the exhaust off to get to the bottom screw on the kicker cover, so I think
I will proceed to remove the cover and see if anything looks awry

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Before you take the cover off, After the pipes are off take that bottom screw out and try again ?,
Still could be the welding has upset it ?.