Which is better? 20/21 or 19/20 rims? Cross 3 or cross 4 spokes lacing? pattern??

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I have just looked at the works order forms for 5 Grey Flash picked at random and they all say 300x21" front and 350x20" rear.

Simon

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have 20" front and 19" back on Avons that's the only way to get good up to date performance rubber and it performs very well on the track I would not want anything else . but then, all I want to do is ride it not look at it

davidd

VOC Member
Hello Bernd,
thanks for your answer, do you also know the size of the rims that have been used in the flash? I have found the information alloyrim ms-type wm1 20" front and wm2 19" rear, could this be right?
Frank

Frank,

Simon is of course correct, because he has the original specs in his hands. The real question is: are you making an exact copy for the museum or are you making something to ride. If you plan to ride this bike you need to first chose the tires that are closest in size for the street. If you plan to ride on the street get a round tire with relatively soft compound. The original Flashes had Avon Racing tires, the front ribbed and the rear studded. I have put tens of thousands of miles on studded rear tires, but they would not be my first choice today now for a nice cornering tire on a solo bike.

Once you decide the tire combination, then match the rim to the tire so that the cross section of the tire is shaped correctly. Most older tires were designed for narrow rims and most modern tires like a wider rim to work properly. I have suggested the Avon AM26 to quite a few. You can run a 21" front and a 19" rear. It is V rated and is also available in racer compound if necessary.

David

frank palmer

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for your reply, i don't want to make museum copy, i want to make grey flash looking street-comet for road use with lights. I have in some other bikes in front the Avon Speedmaster tyre and i am happy with it, so i think i will use a 20" or 21" inch rim in the front and in rear maybe a 19 inch heidenau tyre with 19" rim.

Goffy998

VOC Member
I fitted a 21" rim to my Brampton forked Rapide last year, replacing the 20". With the same Avon ribbed tyres on both, I felt that the steering was noticeably heavier. Swinging in & out of miniature roundabouts required more effort & several miles in very slow moving traffic where the bars have to be forced from one side to the other makes my forearms ache. It looks better, but if I ever have to replace it, it will be with a 20"
Paul Goff

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
Do you want a copy ? Bruce .
Bruce (Clevtrev),
I would like a copy if the offer is still available. I need to redo rims on my 48 Rapide B with 19F and 18R. Old Spokes cross 4 and are butted 8/9 gauge (I measured them); cad plated I think. The front rim is bent. Can a spoke be pulled still in the bike without dismantling the rim?
Thanks, John

davidd

VOC Member
Bruce (Clevtrev),
I would like a copy if the offer is still available. I need to redo rims on my 48 Rapide B with 19F and 18R. Old Spokes cross 4 and are butted 8/9 gauge (I measured them); cad plated I think. The front rim is bent. Can a spoke be pulled still in the bike without dismantling the rim?
Thanks, John

John,

You should be able to replace a spoke in a wheel while it is assembled.

I never found the drawing useful. I ordered what I needed from Buchanan. Bruce's neighbor Justin has a full size copy if Bruce has not found one yet.

David

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
John,

You should be able to replace a spoke in a wheel while it is assembled.

I never found the drawing useful. I ordered what I needed from Buchanan. Bruce's neighbor Justin has a full size copy if Bruce has not found one yet.

David
David, I would add the rider; "if your brake drums are original shape and your spokes have the original butt-end radius". I will make no unsavoury comments about your butt-end radius or those of any other rider; though there is a bloke over here we call "saddlebags" even when his bike doesn't carry them! Cheers.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I fitted a 21" rim to my Brampton forked Rapide last year, replacing the 20". With the same Avon ribbed tyres on both, I felt that the steering was noticeably heavier. Swinging in & out of miniature roundabouts required more effort & several miles in very slow moving traffic where the bars have to be forced from one side to the other makes my forearms ache. It looks better, but if I ever have to replace it, it will be with a 20"
Paul Goff
If anything, I have found the reverse-but I am only a humble Comet (with Girdraulics) rider. What tyre pressures do you run?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Bruce (Clevtrev),
Thanks, John
Don't forget to make sure there is no spoke sticking out the top of the nut, You often have to grind a bit of spoke off, Or it will blow the tube !!. Cheers Bill.