Which is better? 20/21 or 19/20 rims? Cross 3 or cross 4 spokes lacing? pattern??

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
why did you choose 3.25 for the rear when 3.50-19 was always the factory fitted choice ( except for touring models and D's), and still currently available, isn't?

Both of my wheels are built on postwar front hubs for use on an A Meteor. The 19” with a universal tyre can be used, with the opposite rotation, as a front wheel. The hub is shouldered to take a speedo drive so the tyre is fitted to ensure that the speedo drive would be on the left in front wheel rotation.

Modern bike design makes certain sizes less available – this is much of the problem with 20” tyres. The styling of enduro style bikes has improved the availialability of 21” front tyres but reduced availability of 19” rear. 18” rears are more readily available but are mostly too wide to clear Vin chainguards. The 19” Avon Roadrider that I wanted to match with the 21” front is available as a front or as a universal and doesn't look too narrow for the back of our bikes. I don't think it is available as a 3.50 - 19 rear.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I have been using Avon AM 26 for quite a while now, Front 90/90/21 Rear 100/90/19, but with fully sprung Pettefords (sidecar) and the new lush long and deep club seat I am starting to find the bike a bit tall, perhaps its time to try the 19/18 alternative, I wonder if an inch of the front and 1/2 inch of the rear will make that much difference, could be quite an expensive exercise.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I am running a 110/90/18 on a WM3 rim at the rear, It's a roadrider, I have a 100/90/19 on the front, but I think it's too wide, I would like to try a 90/90/19, My Comet feels more stable ? at the front, With that size, But it might be me !!. Cheers Bill.

frank palmer

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello,
i am a new VOC member and also new in this forum (i am from germany, so my english is not the best). I have found these thread cause i am now building a grey flash replica and searching some informations. Please can anyone tell me the standard size of the wheels (rims and tyres) that have been use in the flashs?
Thanks
Frank

Black Flash

VOC Member
Hello,
when building a wheel with 3 or 4 cross pattern and new spokes, the bent in the spoke of the outside spokes is likely to contact the brakedrum.
tightening up the drum can lead to a wobbly drum or worse breakage. Peter Barker wrote about it in detail in an older thread and how to modify the spoke heads exactly (4 cross)and he also made a tiny laser cut spacer to space out the drum so there is no contact between drum and spokes.
If you are going 4 cross it will be a good idea to contact him and he might sell you the spacers as well.

cheers
Bernd

frank palmer

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello Bernd,
thanks for your answer, do you also know the size of the rims that have been used in the flash? I have found the information alloyrim ms-type wm1 20" front and wm2 19" rear, could this be right?
Frank

Black Flash

VOC Member
Hello Frank,
to be honest I have no idea. All I know is readily available from literature which you surely have read and know much better than I do.
Kurt Schupp has a Grey Flash in his museum and from the pictures I made the bike has flanged alloy rims.
If you want I can phone him and check for you. he is a bit wobbly now but when at home I could visit him and check the sizes.
Mind you with a bike that old I am not sure the rims are original and I am not sure Kurt will know.
Bernd

timetraveller

VOC Member
Original wheel sizes were 21" front and 20" rear. I have an original rear wheel, in storage for over 55 years and in good condition, with a Borrani rim stamped 20 x 2.5. Send me a private message if it of any interest to you or you need more information. I posted a photograph of it on the previous page of this thread.