Wheelbuilders.

Chris.R

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If a job is worth doing it should be done well and that means hand painting the whole job as I am using original Dunlop rims that is what she deserves.

I have it that the guy I found in Horsham is out of commission due to health issues. "Looks like I will have to do the job myself". I have treated the rust on the inside of the rims and gone over the whole inside with a preservative. I have masked one side of the hump with insulation tape. I have read that rubbing the centre with wet and dry will be sufficient preparation and that self etching duplicolour spray primer should be applied rubbing down between coats. and then epoxy rustoleum should be applied. how right is this and how is the pinstriping done ie; what sort of brush should be used and is it sufficient to do this over the edge of the black work. all this in the absence of finding a wheel painter localish to Surrey which I would much prefer; meanwhile the bike stand forlorn and wheel less in the garage.

vibrac

VOC Member
wheel lining is a job to be done properly or not at all
At the Bicester show in the summer there was an auction on the sunday I had a quick look round on the Saturday and there was a shiny Comet it looked quite tidy including the wheels then I saw the rear wheel red line looked strange just behind the chain. The thin red line was tape and it had come undone for 2 or 3 inches and stretched across the last contact points in a straight line so tape lines are no good.
You may think that you can use automotive masking tape which comes in one roll with 3 parts you tape it down and then pull off the center section and apply paint I have used it on a tank but you need a good watch and lots of testing because the margin of time when the paint is not to soft and not too hard when the side strips can pull off cleanly is very narrow.
All in all you need a good tail brush and a spun wheel - not a job I want to do I will stick to alloy rims:)

Chris.R

VOC Member
wheel lining is a job to be done properly or not at all
At the Bicester show in the summer there was an auction on the sunday I had a quick look round on the Saturday and there was a shiny Comet it looked quite tidy including the wheels then I saw the rear wheel red line looked strange just behind the chain. The thin red line was tape and it had come undone for 2 or 3 inches and stretched across the last contact points in a straight line so tape lines are no good.
You may think that you can use automotive masking tape which comes in one roll with 3 parts you tape it down and then pull off the center section and apply paint I have used it on a tank but you need a good watch and lots of testing because the margin of time when the paint is not to soft and not too hard when the side strips can pull off cleanly is very narrow.
All in all you need a good tail brush and a spun wheel - not a job I want to do I will stick to alloy rims:)

Hi I understand your comment, I have just masked up under the hump of one of the unspoked rims with a strip of black insulation tape to see if I could get it nicely round the rim, should I go ahead with the job myself what paint should I use for the hump spray or brushed cellulose coach paint.

Bowsh

Non-VOC Member
I would try it in reverse. Mask to the outer edge of the red line on both sides, then paint red in the centre. Let the paint cure fully, mask over the edge of the red to create the pinstripes and then paint the black.

greg brillus

VOC Member
When you pull the tape off it will pull the red pinstripe with it. Mask off and paint the center hump gloss black, then using a fine long bristle sign writers brush and some letter box red paint, paint a thin line half over the black and half on the chrome rim not more than 3 mm width at most. My painter does this sitting down and rotates the rim in his lap. This would allow your forearm to rest against the top of your thigh and help keep a steady hand. Do not aim for perfection, slight differences in the width of the stripe is fine, that's how they were.

vibrac

VOC Member
Look up signwriting pinstriping tape if you want to try that way Wright's of lymnn do a low tack masking tape so do 3M various widths

Mr. Boring

VOC Member
Not that I don't appreciate the talent of professional hand stripers and I've paid for and still do. I've used a Beugler striper for some projects too.

Chris.R

VOC Member
What is the recommendation regards paint to be used, should the centre be shot blasted first or is wet and dry the way to do it and then hand brush primer and black. I can get the masking pretty straight having tried this with a role of plastic insulation tape which looks OK. I am assuming the pinstriping goes on without a primer under it. I will look up wrights and see what they do.

oexing

VOC Member
Would you think that pin striping on chromed tanks was done only after sand blasting ??? Actually no, just be sure to degrease surfaces well and paint as is.

Vic
Horex 600cc 4 valves.JPG

Horex Regina 460, 1954.JPG

Last edited:

Mr. Boring

VOC Member
The sign painters use One Shot enamel here in the states. I'm sure the equivalent can be found in others locales. Vic's right on the degreasing tanks. BSA would nickle/chrome plate the whole tank but only polish the sides, leaving the rougher center for the paint to adhere to. Striping the edge between painted and chrome is a little trickier because of the height difference but it's not that bad with a little practice.

Attachments

• WP_20181105_06_37_45_Pro.jpg
    WP_20181105_06_37_45_Pro.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 11
  • WP_20181105_06_38_05_Pro.jpg
    WP_20181105_06_38_05_Pro.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 11